There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic

Reasonable place to work

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic

Pros

The place is run by educators. Relatively warm place to work but eccentric . Scholastic employs artists and authors and creative people. They obsess over their product line and is relatively even paced.

Cons

Very few open positions for advancement

Provide growth opportunities for your employees.

196 Other Employee Reviews for Scholastic (View Most Recent)

DISSATISFIED

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic

Pros

Great benefits
    flexible with work time (if you need to go to a dr's appt, no one will really hold you accountable for time)
    perks: free books, occasional parties/events

Cons

promotions rarely given unless you're a favorite
    no room to grow or advance
    no hiring from within
    favoritism
    upper management clueless

get a clue!

Good work experience. Poor communication. Salary inconsistencies for similar job titles.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at Scholastic

Pros

I have learned a lot of HR policies and procedures during my time at Scholastic.

Some coworkers are great.

Benefits are reasonably priced for the coverage provided.

My hours are consistent.

Cons

Some policies are very unreasonable - such as the attendance points system. I understand the company has to be "by-the-book" due to the number of employees, however it is really not consistent for management versus hourly. My new boss has missed a lot of days since joining our team with no repercussions. If one of the hourly employees in our department had missed that many days in such a short time period, there would be write-ups given.

Bad coworkers. Some people are allowed to be completely unreasonable in their behavioral actions, but are still compensated heavily for their less than stellar performance. Also, management has told one of my coworkers to cross train all of the employees in our department and they have been consistently ignored-have they done anything about it? No. So that employee is indispensable because of the knowledge they hold, even though they have been insubordinate. The policies clearly state certain behavior that is unacceptable, yet it goes on daily in front of upper management and is never addressed. Senior employees, I might add.

Upper level management-I have personally never seen any of them working. Always chatting in the cafeteria or breakrooms, and quick to criticize anyone else for "standing around",although they will stop and talk to their "favorites" for 45 minutes.

Hourly employees are not compensated fairly. An employee who has been there for 23 years in the same job title has a (very low) top of pay with no additional compensation for loyalty. Are we really that broke? I don't think so. Management would never stay without being given a raise, so why should hourly employees?

Stop being inconsistent with employees. Everyone has the right to be treated and compensated fairly. Ensure the same training is given to all employees in the same department so one employee is not considered more valuable than another.

There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic

Worked for Scholastic? Contribute to the Community!