Scholastic
www2.scholastic.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Some good, some bad; adds up to so-so

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits are very good. A health-care clinic and a small gym on the premises are nice perks, as is the lovely roof-deck "Greenhouse" cafeteria. Most of the people who actually produce the educational materials really care about what they do and the kids they're doing it for.

ConsCommunication is extremely poor. One hand doesn't seem to know what the other is doing. Reviews, if done at all, are via an online program rather than face to face. Morale is low, because positive feedback is rare while negative feedback is commonplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more support (in time, materials, budget, positive feedback, training) to the people who actually produce your materials, and less to the middle managers just looking to perpetuate their own bonuses and perks.

Great workplace with a sudden stop

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: Fantastic coworkers who are highly passionate and devoted to creating the best possible products. Awesome benefits,… Cons: There is a good chance, in the words of HR during my exit interview, "Sometimes, people just won't tell… Advice to Senior Management: Be honest with subordinates about job performance. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great place to work and great people to work with

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great benefits Friendly work environment Gym in the environment Cool workplace and location Good… Cons: Little upward mobility Low pay with regard to comparable positions Advice to Senior Management: My only complaint is that the pay rate is low… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Scholastic.

Worked for Scholastic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Scholastic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Scholastic CEO Dick Robinson. All reviews posted anonymously by Scholastic employees.