Scholastic

www.scholastic.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic

Experience really depends on who you work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the building, and it appears that some folks are very satisfied and content. Roof lounge, great cafeteria, doctor's office, gym, etc...

Cons

Technology is a bit outdated. And if you get stuck working with the wrong people, it can be less than ideal. In my case, my manager was not a pleasure to work with, resulting with many unhappy coworkers, including myself.

231 Other Employee Reviews for Scholastic (View Most Recent)

Great benefits, poor leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and perks: roof deck, doctor's office in the building, average tuition reimbursement (basically $5 a year for grad students), decent insurance, 401k, a bit of profit sharing, good hours overall.

Cons

Leadership is outdated and inflexible. They don't remove people (both at the top and the bottom) even when multiple people file complaints with HR and very senior managers. Nepotism runs rampant.

Promote those who deserve it and cut ties with the dead weight.

Some good, some bad; adds up to so-so

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good. A health-care clinic and a small gym on the premises are nice perks, as is the lovely roof-deck "Greenhouse" cafeteria. Most of the people who actually produce the educational materials really care about what they do and the kids they're doing it for.

Cons

Communication is extremely poor. One hand doesn't seem to know what the other is doing. Reviews, if done at all, are via an online program rather than face to face. Morale is low, because positive feedback is rare while negative feedback is commonplace.

Give more support (in time, materials, budget, positive feedback, training) to the people who actually produce your materials, and less to the middle managers just looking to perpetuate their own bonuses and perks.

There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic