There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic

Great co-workers, inspiring work, bad management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome location in Soho, lots of really wonderful colleagues who believe in what they're doing, access to amazing children's books and helping kids through literature.

Cons

Management and HR need to be seriously overhauled. Complaints to HR about management were not handled well - it was clear that this was an ongoing issue and nothing was being (or could be?) done about it. It often seemed that people who were not good at their jobs were carried along by the people who worked really hard rather than building teams that were high functioning across the board. Salaries seemed very disparate.

Really evaluate the teams you have in place and work with the employees you think are doing well to make those teams better - listen to them and value and respect their input rather than hiring outside consultant after consultant to fix things. Keep your employees in the loop and be respectful.

203 Other Employee Reviews for Scholastic (View Most Recent)

Technologically backward, inflexible, awful management

Former Employee - Information Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Information Architect in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The idea of working at a company that brought up fond memories of my childhood was appealing. Nothing else.

Cons

If you are a freelancer, beware. They gave me a very hard time with the tiniest details of the project, but more importantly, changed contract terms and then accused me of breaking them. My efforts to show them proof (contract from the agency I was with at the time) were ignored, and they proceeded to withheld my pay--right before Christmas!! I have run into other freelancers who have had these types of problems with them, so it seems to be a repeat occurrence. Also the office environment was very depressing, and the technology (computers, process, etc. ) was very "retro."

Are you even paying attention to what your managers are doing?

So far it has been good working at Scholastic.

Current Employee - Picker Book Clubs in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Picker Book Clubs in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at Scholastic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working part time is good for me. Employees are mostly friendly including group leader and Supervisor.

Cons

If I stay or they keep part time people I hope we get an increase in salary soon.

Need a central place, office, in-house phone to contact group leader or supervisor when something goes wrong with equipment on the line. Usually you can't find anyone when you need them.

There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic