There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic

Thrown Out With the Garbage

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in New York, NY
Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A good place to cut one's teeth. When it was truly a mid-sized family-run corporation, Scholastic actually cared about its employees. The pay used to be decent and there were no permalancers (this was a long time ago). There was demonstrable loyalty to long-time employees who did good work, and there were ample rewards for a job well done. Products and services were well-loved by our customers and the company was cutting edge.

Cons

Ruthless cultural changes after the move to SoHo. They went public and got too corporate, while remaining a nepotistic family business, rife with favoritism and special back-room deals. I worked my butt off for them, with no overtime, often forgoing vacations at my boss's behest in one department. After a decade of nothing but good performance reviews and several promotions, I lost my job in a big departmental purge and was treated like total crap for a year prior to that, especially after they fired my boss. Essentially they tried to torture us all out, then stopped giving us work, then fired us for not doing a good job when indeed we had no job. Then after the dirty deed was done, they dumped the person they hired to fire us. This kind of thing became typical at "the company you grew up with." It was like a cult, or the Mafia. Or, sadly, today's cutthroat corporate America. Especially sad when it had been a wonderful place to work for so long.

Live up to your good reputation by treating your employees the way you treat your customers. I could say more but it would not be heard, and frankly, I wouldn't be sad if Scholastic went kaput. They're all about Harry Potter and Common Core now anyway - not innovations in education.

203 Other Employee Reviews for Scholastic (View Most Recent)

A complete waste of my time

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got to share quality products with wonderful customers. I also had the pleasure of making some wonderful friends.

Cons

As a teacher, I expected Scholastic to be an extension of what I had done in teaching - a place where I could use my education and experience to make a difference. WRONG! I was treated like a child, scolded or yelled at, pushed to do more, more, more. Management is incredibly disrespectful and rude to employees and there is no recourse because HR is best friends with the VP. The place is rife with nepotism - jobs being created for family of management while hard-working employees were laid off or even fired. I was constantly on edge, never knowing when or what I'd be reprimanded for. When I did make my goal (and far beyond), the management refused to pay me commission, spending more than 3 months finding a loophole that they could use. After going to HR in NY to get my earned commission, I was harrassed constantly by my manager - she even called me out for daring to speak up. I have never felt so under-appreciated, under-utilized, and small! I could not get out of there fast enough!

To top management: get smart and promote some managers who can actually manage! Put people in place who will support the reps. Don't hire friends and family who are not qualified for their positions. Stop micro-managing EVERYTHING and let intelligent people use their skills to your benefit.
    To team managers: Try using positive reinforcement - it will get you so much farther with your reps. Don't see everything as a challenge to your authority - instead support your reps and let them make you look good! Focus on actually doing your job instead of visiting with the other managers.

Good experience overall

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People are great to work with and are very passionate about what they do which makes for a positive working environment. Many employees stay at the company for years and there is alot of internal rotation. Scholastic's dedication to social issues (like increasing literacy) is nice as you feel like you're working for a company that cares about more than their bottom line. The location in SOHO is amazing.

Cons

The different divisions can be very siloed as groups are very concerned about their own P and L's and there can be competition among groups for sales from the company's main customers - teachers. The company is going through a time of rapid transition as they move from traditional publishing to more digital products. There have been hiring freezes as revenue in the US has gone down from 2012-13 and they invest more in product development.

If international growth is an area of importance, do more to increase employees willingness to share ideas and collaborate on product development that is outside their division, but helpful to the company as a whole.

There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic