Scholastic
www.scholastic.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Thrown Out With the Garbage

Prefer Not to Say (Current Employee)
New York, NY

ProsA good place to cut one's teeth. When it was truly a mid-sized family-run corporation, Scholastic actually cared about its employees. The pay used to be decent and there were no permalancers (this was a long time ago). There was demonstrable loyalty to long-time employees who did good work, and there were ample rewards for a job well done. Products and services were well-loved by our customers and the company was cutting edge.

ConsRuthless cultural changes after the move to SoHo. They went public and got too corporate, while remaining a nepotistic family business, rife with favoritism and special back-room deals. I worked my butt off for them, with no overtime, often forgoing vacations at my boss's behest in one department. After a decade of nothing but good performance reviews and several promotions, I lost my job in a big departmental purge and was treated like total crap for a year prior to that, especially after they fired my boss. Essentially they tried to torture us all out, then stopped giving us work, then fired us for not doing a good job when indeed we had no job. Then after the dirty deed was done, they dumped the person they hired to fire us. This kind of thing became typical at "the company you grew up with." It was like a cult, or the Mafia. Or, sadly, today's cutthroat corporate America. Especially sad when it had been a wonderful place to work for so long.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive up to your good reputation by treating your employees the way you treat your customers. I could say more but it would not be heard, and frankly, I wouldn't be sad if Scholastic went kaput. They're all about Harry Potter and Common Core now anyway - not innovations in education.

Plusses but minuses too

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: The vision and mission is socially good. Cons: Limited opportunities for growth, unclear career paths. Advice to Senior Management: Hire and promote from within, people can see that and appreciate it. Instead, in certain departments… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good experience overall

Marketing Analyst (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic as an intern for less than a year

Pros: People are great to work with and are very passionate about what they do which makes for a positive working environment. Many employees stay at… Cons: The different divisions can be very siloed as groups are very concerned about their own P and L's and there can be competition among groups… Advice to Senior Management: If international growth is an area of importance, do more to increase employees willingness to share ideas… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Scholastic.

Worked for Scholastic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Scholastic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Scholastic CEO Dick Robinson. All reviews posted anonymously by Scholastic employees.