There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic

A complete waste of my time

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I got to share quality products with wonderful customers. I also had the pleasure of making some wonderful friends.

Cons

As a teacher, I expected Scholastic to be an extension of what I had done in teaching - a place where I could use my education and experience to make a difference. WRONG! I was treated like a child, scolded or yelled at, pushed to do more, more, more. Management is incredibly disrespectful and rude to employees and there is no recourse because HR is best friends with the VP. The place is rife with nepotism - jobs being created for family of management while hard-working employees were laid off or even fired. I was constantly on edge, never knowing when or what I'd be reprimanded for. When I did make my goal (and far beyond), the management refused to pay me commission, spending more than 3 months finding a loophole that they could use. After going to HR in NY to get my earned commission, I was harrassed constantly by my manager - she even called me out for daring to speak up. I have never felt so under-appreciated, under-utilized, and small! I could not get out of there fast enough!

To top management: get smart and promote some managers who can actually manage! Put people in place who will support the reps. Don't hire friends and family who are not qualified for their positions. Stop micro-managing EVERYTHING and let intelligent people use their skills to your benefit.
To team managers: Try using positive reinforcement - it will get you so much farther with your reps. Don't see everything as a challenge to your authority - instead support your reps and let them make you look good! Focus on actually doing your job instead of visiting with the other managers.

203 Other Employee Reviews for Scholastic (View Most Recent)

Overall a nice place to work but the management style needs serious review.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The hours and paid holidays are nice. Benefits are good. Nice co-workers.

Cons

Territories and projects are not fairly divided or distributed. When you start to make commission, they will find a reason to take it away. They make you take vacation days when you are sick. Sometimes you don't know your sales goals until the very end of the month. Supervisors talk loudly amongst themselves all day, very loudly which is very distracting.

Management classes would be helpful.

Plusses but minuses too

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The vision and mission is socially good.

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth, unclear career paths.

Hire and promote from within, people can see that and appreciate it. Instead, in certain departments like the one I worked in, people were always hired from outside for the more senior positions.

There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic