There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic

A complete waste of my time

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL
Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to share quality products with wonderful customers. I also had the pleasure of making some wonderful friends.

Cons

As a teacher, I expected Scholastic to be an extension of what I had done in teaching - a place where I could use my education and experience to make a difference. WRONG! I was treated like a child, scolded or yelled at, pushed to do more, more, more. Management is incredibly disrespectful and rude to employees and there is no recourse because HR is best friends with the VP. The place is rife with nepotism - jobs being created for family of management while hard-working employees were laid off or even fired. I was constantly on edge, never knowing when or what I'd be reprimanded for. When I did make my goal (and far beyond), the management refused to pay me commission, spending more than 3 months finding a loophole that they could use. After going to HR in NY to get my earned commission, I was harrassed constantly by my manager - she even called me out for daring to speak up. I have never felt so under-appreciated, under-utilized, and small! I could not get out of there fast enough!

Advice to Management

To top management: get smart and promote some managers who can actually manage! Put people in place who will support the reps. Don't hire friends and family who are not qualified for their positions. Stop micro-managing EVERYTHING and let intelligent people use their skills to your benefit.
To team managers: Try using positive reinforcement - it will get you so much farther with your reps. Don't see everything as a challenge to your authority - instead support your reps and let them make you look good! Focus on actually doing your job instead of visiting with the other managers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

OK Employer, no respect for employees

Former Employee - Warehouse Help Pulling Orders and Stocking Shelves in Jefferson City, MO

I worked at Scholastic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefit package and steady work

Cons

Treat employees like property, might have changed over the years

Advice to Management

Give employees a reason to excel at their jobs.

2. Good experience overall

Former Intern - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People are great to work with and are very passionate about what they do which makes for a positive working environment. Many employees stay at the company for years and there is alot of internal rotation. Scholastic's dedication to social issues (like increasing literacy) is nice as you feel like you're working for a company that cares about more than their bottom line. The location in SOHO is amazing.

Cons

The different divisions can be very siloed as groups are very concerned about their own P and L's and there can be competition among groups for sales from the company's main customers - teachers. The company is going through a time of rapid transition as they move from traditional publishing to more digital products. There have been hiring freezes as revenue in the US has gone down from 2012-13 and they invest more in product development.

Advice to Management

If international growth is an area of importance, do more to increase employees willingness to share ideas and collaborate on product development that is outside their division, but helpful to the company as a whole.