Good work/life balance

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Scholastic as an intern

Pros

There is a good work/life balance. Management trusts its employees

Cons

The environment is a little low-energy

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Red tape, hard to advance, very top heavy

Current Employee - Contract Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Contract Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Laxed work environment, discounts, work/life balance.

Cons

Top heavy, flip flop decisions

Advice to Management

Needs a whole set of officers

Thrown Out With the Garbage

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A good place to cut one's teeth. When it was truly a mid-sized family-run corporation, Scholastic actually cared about its employees. The pay used to be decent and there were no permalancers (this was a long time ago). There was demonstrable loyalty to long-time employees who did good work, and there were ample rewards for a job well done. Products and services were well-loved by our customers and the company was cutting edge.

Cons

Ruthless cultural changes after the move to SoHo. They went public and got too corporate, while remaining a nepotistic family business, rife with favoritism and special back-room deals. I worked my butt off for them, with no overtime, often forgoing vacations at my boss's behest in one department. After a decade of nothing but good performance reviews and several promotions, I lost my job in a big departmental purge and was treated like total crap for a year prior to that, especially after they fired my boss. Essentially they tried to torture us all out, then stopped giving us work, then fired us for not doing a good job when indeed we had no job. Then after the dirty deed was done, they dumped the person they hired to fire us. This kind of thing became typical at "the company you grew up with." It was like a cult, or the Mafia. Or, sadly, today's cutthroat corporate America. Especially sad when it had been a wonderful place to work for so long.

Advice to Management

Live up to your good reputation by treating your employees the way you treat your customers. I could say more but it would not be heard, and frankly, I wouldn't be sad if Scholastic went kaput. They're all about Harry Potter and Common Core now anyway - not innovations in education.