Scholastic

www.scholastic.com

Weak IT leadership, No vision, and inept 20+ year VPs and Directors

Pros- 9 to 5 job
- slow moving organization

ConsIt is unfortunate the Cons are numerous:
- IT leadership is weak and it shows so clearly to anyone paying attention. It is often compared to an organized zoo, the clown gets 15 minutes fame then hides. The company has no CIO, and the person in charge is not up to par with the responsibilities of the position. You would expect top leaders to communicate a vision, energize the ranks, and show the path. It is unfortunate these qualities are not there.
- Upper management made foolish and bad decisions in the past, and they keep strong hold to protect their posts. You see it with those who have been at this company for 20+ years.
- Accountability is on paper, and it is rarely practiced in IT. Budgets are intentionally bloated, and the waste is very high. It is very surprising how upper management keeps getting away with it. Bigger the budget, more secure the position.
- Organization is managed more like a family owned small business, complete with favoritism, nepotism, and no apparent focus on ROI and growth
- Too many long term managers who have never worked anywhere else, and they bring no substance. New senior talent generally lasts less than two years either quitting out of frustration or being terminated for addressing the status quo. I have seen few courageous senior talents challenging the waste and the status quo, they gave hope to the rest of us, they brought fresh thinking to this dying organization. Unfortunately, these out of box thinkers didn't last. They are gone and took hope with them.
- There are more than the normal share of people who are downright nasty. People that have been at the company for a long time feel entitled to do what they want and they dont want to be questioned.
- Politics are incredibly high considering the size of the company
- Micro management is highly used as a tactic to protect the interest of those long term managers
- Siloed and combative organization with little to no collaborative spirit. No incentive to work towards common goals and financial success - every group for themselves. Often you hear people in the elevator referring to dog-eat-dog environment.

Advice to Senior Management- bring fresh talent and clean house
- bring leaders who have vision and managers who can actually manage
- develop a culture of meritocracy - streamline the many long term senior managers who have only worked at Scholastic for 20 plus years

An intense work environment, but I survived!

Producer (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than a year

Pros: We made great products for students and teachers. Co-workers were smart… Cons: Employees weren't empowered by management to do their jobs. Management dictated all decision making,… Advice to Senior Management: Trust that the brillant people you hired can do their… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Invaluable industry knowledge with limited advancement opportunities.

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than a year

Pros: Scholastic offers the absolute best in classroom core curriculum, supplements, collections and paperback titles. They are progressive in offering new technology for students and teachers… Cons: Capped commission as an ISR, no matter how high your monthly and annual goals are exceeded. Sales reps are HEAVILY micro-managed. Lack of respect and… Advice to Senior Management: Loosen up and trust the knowledge and ability of your sales team. Practice what you preach and show more mutual respect from one adult to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Scholastic.

Worked for Scholastic? Contribute to the Community!