Silos, little training, good people

Current Employee - Associate Director  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the people are wonderful. There can be great opportunity to make a contribution if you are willing to put in the effort.

Cons

Unfortunately, because of lack of cohesive vision, lots of folks have become complacent (because they gave up trying or because it's allowed). You can make a difference, but often you have to figure out how to do that yourself - there is not a lot of training or support with the systems etc.

Other Reviews for Scholastic

This review is for the Scholastic office in St. Charles, IL. It was the call center it was not like New York at all.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Saint Charles, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Saint Charles, IL

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the people were wonderful to work with, The money was good but you worked every second for it.
    They very frequently bought us lunch. You could take the summers off. The BEST Benefits ever. Scholastic in New York really gave us wonderful benefits.

Cons

They monitor you on the phone it is a call center they are always watching and listening, If you make a mistake you are called off the floor for a reprimand, this shared to "help" you. They make the people who express themselves go away. One day your there at 100% of quota.....the next day your gone. Nobody knows were you are. It's so bad they won't let you leave your desk and if you do leave, they come to the bathroom to see where you are.

It will always stay the same, no reason to advise them, they will not listen.

Great brand but disappointing culture

Current Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company offers good pay and benefits overall. I think it is good if you work on a core part of the business, but if it is an intreprenuer type of project, it is not given enough time to flourish.

Cons

The company is very silo'd. I think the company could do better in terms of helping education reform through taking stances and through quality products that bring content to life for children.

There are newer employer reviews for Scholastic.

Worked for Scholastic? Contribute to the Community!