School District of Philadelphia

www.phila.k12.pa.us
  www.phila.k12.pa.us
There are newer employer reviews for School District of Philadelphia

Micromanagement is this district's greatest weakness

Former Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you have the teaching bug, you know one of the greatest pros for working for a school district is the feeling of impacting the lives of young people in some way. From an outside point of view other pros include amazing benefits, comparable salary, and ability to collaborate with many professionals in your field.

Cons

As a result of pressure from the state for higher scores, the district has taken almost oppressive measures to try to improve the schools. They found a lesson plan style that was proven successful for some subjects and mandated that EVERYONE in the comprehensive schools of the district use it. If an administrator entered your room and you were not exactly on time with 'direct instruction' or 'guided practice' you were written up. If the administrator did not feel a science hands-on lab fit into the lesson plan template you could not use it or you were written up. Many teachers became jaded at the amount of disciplinary notes they received--we lost our ability to be creative and exciting in the classroom, forced to forego a lot of exciting hands-on activities if they did not fit the template. This was one of the greatest drawbacks to the position.

In general, your experience may depend on the particular administration of your school. Our administration was large, there was a clear power struggle among them, and all of the pressure they felt from their higher-ups they came down on teachers for ten-fold. It was not the happiest of environments to work in, in the end (I spent 4 years there and I truly loved it in the beginning, but the poor relationship between administration and staff is wearing).

Allow a little bit of freedom. Your teachers are there because they are professionals--they know how to teach or they wouldn't have a degree. They love their kids just as much as you do, and if you ease up with the 'oppressive' measures, you're going to see huge improvements. The most productive employees are those who are the happiest--productive teachers will make productive happy students and more lives will be bettered in the process.

92 Other Employee Reviews for School District of Philadelphia (View Most Recent)

Challenging but Rewarding

Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia

Pros

When focused on the children, the work can be extremely rewarding!

Cons

So many changes and challenges make it hard to get the work done and really impact the students.

My experience at the School District of Philadelphia has been one of growth

Current Employee - Middle School Science Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Middle School Science Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at School District of Philadelphia

Pros

professional development opportunities
    after school work opportunities
    students with potential
    students that pose a challenge can reach their potential

Cons

budget constraints
    current limited openings for transfer or new hires

Treat your employees as gifts

There are newer employer reviews for School District of Philadelphia