School District of Philadelphia

www.phila.k12.pa.us

Great job if you have a high tolerance for incompetence

Guidance Counselor (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prospay, health benefits, retirement benefits, time off (can you say July and August!), job security. the feeling that you are making the world a better place, unionized (for many) work place.

ConsIncompetence from higher ups, bully school principals, misbehaving students can often wear you down. Your work day is basically chaotic every day. Micromanagement to the extreme. Creativity is squashed. Most principals simply want obedience.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better principals and train them! The people that I know who have left have left because of either bully and unsupportive school principals, or simply just tired of incompetence from the district higher ups. They didn't leave because of the kids. Many good people who have left would still be with the district had they had better principals.

It's a nightmare

Teacher (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: You're spending your efforts trying to help these kids. Very challenging,… Cons: The kids & parents don't value education. Neighborhood schools can be very dangerous. … Advice to Senior Management: Throw in the towel, implode the school district and open all independently run charter schools. … No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Difficult work in dangerous places..

Teacher (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

I worked at School District of Philadelphia full-time for more than a year

Pros: Job security with the union. Students a great: when the show up for class. Working for the public, straight up, as an educator is as… Cons: Meddling management, ineffectual union, dangerous work environment outside schools. Advice to Senior Management: Choose principals who want education first, rather than personal advancement. More
There are newer reviews on School District of Philadelphia.

Worked for School District of Philadelphia? Contribute to the Community!