compared to others

Current Employee - Team Advisor in Smithfield, UT
Current Employee - Team Advisor in Smithfield, UT

I have been working at Schreiber Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding business model. Schreiber is an ESOP company. Excellent management training program.

Cons

Must start on 3rd shift but it's a career path. Not just a job.

Advice to Management

Keep your standards.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Overkill on forms and personalities get promoted over positive results

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schreiber Foods full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

ESOP, discounted cheese, decent pay

Cons

Total overkill on performance reviews with long forms to complete. I was never told I was doing a good job, only that I needed to improve. People no longer could enjoy doing their same job for the next 5+ yrs. You were expected to move to a new position or the company got rid of you. People were also not getting promoted based on results. Also very few other race/ethic.

Advice to Management

Promote people based on result not who you like or get along with. Performance assessment is not a priority over making sure people are enjoying and doing their work well. Truly take care of your partners and not just put it as a yearly business goal/priority.

You're on your own and thrown to the wolves

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Shippensburg, PA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Shippensburg, PA

I worked at Schreiber Foods

Pros

It's decent pay and a clean working environment, but that's pretty much the only pro that I can think of. If you like figuring stuff out for yourself with production supervisors asking "how soon" about every 5 minutes, you'll do fine.

Cons

There's a rule for everything, and the disciplinary action is swift and severe.... BUT.... you never know all the rules! There isn't even a printed handbook. There is a policy on every least little thing you can think of, but you never learn of them until you run afoul of one. Hey, I'm a rule follower by nature, but I really need to know what the expectations are.

For a company that's been in business as long as they have been, they seem to be slaying the same dragons they've been fighting for years and years. They area a continuous improvement environment in name only. They seem to sit and spin their wheels. The job training is non-existent. Forget about finding someone to help you out with any technical issues. Frustrating.

No tools! They seem to waste money on all kinds of crazy things, but they issue us maintenance mechanics a little Fisher-Price set of tools and expect us to perform miracles on multi-million dollar equipment. The "shop tools" are an even bigger joke. My home garage is more well equipped than the whole maintenance shop.

I never even spoke to my boss until my 5th week there, and only spoke to him two other times in the whole time I worked there. I have no idea who was in charge of our department. I guess we ran it ourselves? Oh, the occasional grumpy and vague complaining email to the whole department from our absentee boss was always a nice surprise. Thanks for the leadership.

Advice to Management

How about some support for the maintenance department so we have the tools we need to maintain the equipment, and the training we need to do so?