Schwan's
www.theschwanfoodcompany.com Marshall, MN 5000+ Employees

Too many work hours in a day.

RSR (Current Employee)
Little Rock, AR

ProsUniforms, health benefits, retirement, Food discounts equal 40% off if using rewards. The job is what you make it. You are out on the road selling food to customers twice a month. You get to know them as family after awhile. It has taken a couple years but now finally making a paycheck that I can live with.

ConsI have had service routes before this job. I have the ability to grow routes to make money. But while I was using social media to promote Schwans business and gain new customers, I was shut down by upper level management in Marshall, MN., even as my route increased in customers and sales for the first month of my campaign. This took the wind out of my sails and I started to get an I don't give a crap attitude. Meanwhile Schwans is running a constant contest of it's own. All it does is require drivers to badger customers to purchase Kita (chum) Salmon and unbreaded chicken breast filets. It depends on what part of the country that you live in, if you can sell these items. I'm in the south, people eat catfish and breaded chicken nuggets. The hours are far too long to be healthy for any person, but in this day and age you gota do what you gota do I guess. Schwans would prefer that you see 100 customers in a day who spend $10 to $20 each which requires the long work hours. However, you and I both know that any one who only spend $10 to $20 is not a loyal customer. They are only buying because they feel obligated. That's why I look for customers who spend $75 to $150 each time I drive up.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to Management would be....When you have contests, think about how we can make it fun for the customer. I'm sorry but giving someone $2 off when they buy 2 boxes of eggrolls is not fun for the customer. You and I both know that all we are doing is relieving the customer from their hard earned dollars. Give the customer a chance to win food if they purchase a certain amount consistently, and I don't mean give them a gallon of ice cream. Let them win $100 worth of food. Those who want to take a chance on being a winner will spend the money and they won't feel like we are just trying to separate them from their money. Think about the games that McDonalds plays and the prizes that they give away to get people to buy again. I realize that the big push is trying to get people on the net for rewards and such but I service the rural of Arkansas. These are areas that don't even have cell service let alone internet service. This year the contests SUCK big time. We the drivers are constantly being harassed by our managers to sell this item or that item. We are being asked via texts messages to guess how many of this item we will sell by the end of the day. Look I have put in 5 hours today and still have 8 hours to go, how in the hell do I know how many boxes of Salmon my customers, who I haven't even seen yet will buy. Do I look like a fortune teller?? Last week I seriously thought abut turning in my keys because of the constant harassment. I just keep telling myself that it will end soon.

It's a whole lot of work for not nearly enough pay!

Schwans RSR (Current Employee)

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for less than a year

Pros: You will meet some really nice people in the communities you work. There… Cons: First and foremost expect to work 12-14 hours a day if you are a route driver because management surely expects it! You will have just… Advice to Senior Management: Management lie to me but don't lie to yourself. Schwan's is no longer the family business that Marvin Schwan had envisioned. Rather than move forward… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

No longer a Rural Friendly Company

Schwans RSR (Current Employee)

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for less than a year

Pros: Health Insurance... until Obamacare ruins it. Cons: Good paying routes are not what you will get as a new hire. In an urban area, you may be able to get up… Advice to Senior Management: Get out of Marshal and ride with RSRs on long, deep-rural routes for a while. You will shortly see that Performance Metrics that work… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Schwan's.

Worked for Schwan's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schwan's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Schwan's CEO Dimitrios Smyrnios. All reviews posted anonymously by Schwan's employees.