There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's

Too many work hours in a day.

Current Employee - RSR  in  Little Rock, AR
Current Employee - RSR in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Uniforms, health benefits, retirement, Food discounts equal 40% off if using rewards. The job is what you make it. You are out on the road selling food to customers twice a month. You get to know them as family after awhile. It has taken a couple years but now finally making a paycheck that I can live with.

Cons

I have had service routes before this job. I have the ability to grow routes to make money. But while I was using social media to promote Schwans business and gain new customers, I was shut down by upper level management in Marshall, MN., even as my route increased in customers and sales for the first month of my campaign. This took the wind out of my sails and I started to get an I don't give a crap attitude. Meanwhile Schwans is running a constant contest of it's own. All it does is require drivers to badger customers to purchase Kita (chum) Salmon and unbreaded chicken breast filets. It depends on what part of the country that you live in, if you can sell these items. I'm in the south, people eat catfish and breaded chicken nuggets. The hours are far too long to be healthy for any person, but in this day and age you gota do what you gota do I guess. Schwans would prefer that you see 100 customers in a day who spend $10 to $20 each which requires the long work hours. However, you and I both know that any one who only spend $10 to $20 is not a loyal customer. They are only buying because they feel obligated. That's why I look for customers who spend $75 to $150 each time I drive up.

My advice to Management would be....When you have contests, think about how we can make it fun for the customer. I'm sorry but giving someone $2 off when they buy 2 boxes of eggrolls is not fun for the customer. You and I both know that all we are doing is relieving the customer from their hard earned dollars. Give the customer a chance to win food if they purchase a certain amount consistently, and I don't mean give them a gallon of ice cream. Let them win $100 worth of food. Those who want to take a chance on being a winner will spend the money and they won't feel like we are just trying to separate them from their money. Think about the games that McDonalds plays and the prizes that they give away to get people to buy again. I realize that the big push is trying to get people on the net for rewards and such but I service the rural of Arkansas. These are areas that don't even have cell service let alone internet service. This year the contests SUCK big time. We the drivers are constantly being harassed by our managers to sell this item or that item. We are being asked via texts messages to guess how many of this item we will sell by the end of the day. Look I have put in 5 hours today and still have 8 hours to go, how in the hell do I know how many boxes of Salmon my customers, who I haven't even seen yet will buy. Do I look like a fortune teller?? Last week I seriously thought abut turning in my keys because of the constant harassment. I just keep telling myself that it will end soon.

218 Other Employee Reviews for Schwan's (View Most Recent)

It's a whole lot of work for not nearly enough pay!

Current Employee - Schwans RSR
    Current Employee - Schwans RSR

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will meet some really nice people in the communities you work. There is potential to make a decent living depending out how you define "decent living."

Cons

First and foremost expect to work 12-14 hours a day if you are a route driver because management surely expects it! You will have just enough time to get home maybe eat and handle a task or two get about 4-6 hours worth of sleep and then go back to it. This is your reality Monday through Friday! On average a Schwan's man really doesn't make much money especially if you average it out over the hours worked. I am going to say it and I am going to be honest about it, don't expect Schwan's to have your best interest at heart. I have seen multiple cases where Schwan's has basically used people up until they can't use them anymore and then turned their backs on them and found somebody else.

Management lie to me but don't lie to yourself. Schwan's is no longer the family business that Marvin Schwan had envisioned. Rather than move forward with more effective ways to management the business you'd rather use the employees as expendable assets because it's cheaper. I hear management talk about managing the turnover but never see anyone actually do anything about it. Life is more than just working and when the depot employee's are doing just that for 60-70 hours a week the management sits at home and collects the bounty of their efforts. Wealthy distribution needs to be address along with quality of life and work ratio.

Have works at Schwans full time for almost 13years.

Current Employee - RSR
    Current Employee - RSR

I have been working at Schwan's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

not a desk job.Have the opportunity to meet people work outside and earn an income based on how well you perform.

Cons

The hours as everybody knows are long and not really a family friendly job.The company has become much more micro managing thanks to all the new off the street upper level management.They now think a computer program is better than the human touch.Have been running food stamps days for over 10 years and now have suddenly been taken away as now we are not allowed to run our business the best way while making money for the company and ourselves.

Look and listen to the vets who have been doing this for several years.We are the ones out there on the front lines every day,not hiding behind closed doors and working 40hrs , 5 days a week.If you continue to micro manange the company will not be around when I want to retire in 10 years.

There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's

Worked for Schwan's? Contribute to the Community!