Schwan's

www.theschwanfoodcompany.com
  www.theschwanfoodcompany.com
There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's

Too many work hours in a day.

Current Employee - RSR in Little Rock, AR
Current Employee - RSR in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Uniforms, health benefits, retirement, Food discounts equal 40% off if using rewards. The job is what you make it. You are out on the road selling food to customers twice a month. You get to know them as family after awhile. It has taken a couple years but now finally making a paycheck that I can live with.

Cons

I have had service routes before this job. I have the ability to grow routes to make money. But while I was using social media to promote Schwans business and gain new customers, I was shut down by upper level management in Marshall, MN., even as my route increased in customers and sales for the first month of my campaign. This took the wind out of my sails and I started to get an I don't give a crap attitude. Meanwhile Schwans is running a constant contest of it's own. All it does is require drivers to badger customers to purchase Kita (chum) Salmon and unbreaded chicken breast filets. It depends on what part of the country that you live in, if you can sell these items. I'm in the south, people eat catfish and breaded chicken nuggets. The hours are far too long to be healthy for any person, but in this day and age you gota do what you gota do I guess. Schwans would prefer that you see 100 customers in a day who spend $10 to $20 each which requires the long work hours. However, you and I both know that any one who only spend $10 to $20 is not a loyal customer. They are only buying because they feel obligated. That's why I look for customers who spend $75 to $150 each time I drive up.

My advice to Management would be....When you have contests, think about how we can make it fun for the customer. I'm sorry but giving someone $2 off when they buy 2 boxes of eggrolls is not fun for the customer. You and I both know that all we are doing is relieving the customer from their hard earned dollars. Give the customer a chance to win food if they purchase a certain amount consistently, and I don't mean give them a gallon of ice cream. Let them win $100 worth of food. Those who want to take a chance on being a winner will spend the money and they won't feel like we are just trying to separate them from their money. Think about the games that McDonalds plays and the prizes that they give away to get people to buy again. I realize that the big push is trying to get people on the net for rewards and such but I service the rural of Arkansas. These are areas that don't even have cell service let alone internet service. This year the contests SUCK big time. We the drivers are constantly being harassed by our managers to sell this item or that item. We are being asked via texts messages to guess how many of this item we will sell by the end of the day. Look I have put in 5 hours today and still have 8 hours to go, how in the hell do I know how many boxes of Salmon my customers, who I haven't even seen yet will buy. Do I look like a fortune teller?? Last week I seriously thought abut turning in my keys because of the constant harassment. I just keep telling myself that it will end soon.

326 Other Employee Reviews for Schwan's (View Most Recent)

Have works at Schwans full time for almost 13years.

Current Employee - RSR
    Current Employee - RSR

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

not a desk job.Have the opportunity to meet people work outside and earn an income based on how well you perform.

Cons

The hours as everybody knows are long and not really a family friendly job.The company has become much more micro managing thanks to all the new off the street upper level management.They now think a computer program is better than the human touch.Have been running food stamps days for over 10 years and now have suddenly been taken away as now we are not allowed to run our business the best way while making money for the company and ourselves.

Look and listen to the vets who have been doing this for several years.We are the ones out there on the front lines every day,not hiding behind closed doors and working 40hrs , 5 days a week.If you continue to micro manange the company will not be around when I want to retire in 10 years.

Great Family Company

Current Employee - Recruitment Administrator in Marshall, MN
    Current Employee - Recruitment Administrator in Marshall, MN

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am the third generation in my family to work at Schwans - we started in 1955 and we're still here. The business values laid out by Marvin are still strong. There is opportunity for advancement, strong leaders who care about the growth of the business and the growth of employees, great benefits, and best of all a 40% discount on the food.

Cons

In my position, none, but I recognize that many of our opportunities require a lot of hard work and dedication - but anyone truly committed to success can find it at Schwan

There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's