There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's

Great Family Company

Current Employee - Recruitment Administrator in Marshall, MN
Current Employee - Recruitment Administrator in Marshall, MN

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am the third generation in my family to work at Schwans - we started in 1955 and we're still here. The business values laid out by Marvin are still strong. There is opportunity for advancement, strong leaders who care about the growth of the business and the growth of employees, great benefits, and best of all a 40% discount on the food.

Cons

In my position, none, but I recognize that many of our opportunities require a lot of hard work and dedication - but anyone truly committed to success can find it at Schwan

reviews filtered by

It's a whole lot of work for not nearly enough pay!

Current Employee - Schwans RSR

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You will meet some really nice people in the communities you work. There is potential to make a decent living depending out how you define "decent living."

Cons

First and foremost expect to work 12-14 hours a day if you are a route driver because management surely expects it! You will have just enough time to get home maybe eat and handle a task or two get about 4-6 hours worth of sleep and then go back to it. This is your reality Monday through Friday! On average a Schwan's man really doesn't make much money especially if you average it out over the hours worked. I am going to say it and I am going to be honest about it, don't expect Schwan's to have your best interest at heart. I have seen multiple cases where Schwan's has basically used people up until they can't use them anymore and then turned their backs on them and found somebody else.

Management lie to me but don't lie to yourself. Schwan's is no longer the family business that Marvin Schwan had envisioned. Rather than move forward with more effective ways to management the business you'd rather use the employees as expendable assets because it's cheaper. I hear management talk about managing the turnover but never see anyone actually do anything about it. Life is more than just working and when the depot employee's are doing just that for 60-70 hours a week the management sits at home and collects the bounty of their efforts. Wealthy distribution needs to be address along with quality of life and work ratio.

No longer a Rural Friendly Company

Current Employee - Schwans RSR

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Health Insurance... until Obamacare ruins it.

Cons

Good paying routes are not what you will get as a new hire. In an urban area, you may be able to get up to speed with some hustle, but if you have 250+ drive mi routes on rural dirt roads, forget it. You will either be hammered for failing to service all customers on your route, &/or hammered by DOT for failing to meet their irrational expectations.

Get out of Marshal and ride with RSRs on long, deep-rural routes for a while. You will shortly see that Performance Metrics that work for Urban/Suburban areas kill Rural drivers. It's why you have such horrendous turnover on those routes. Get out of the Urban mindset, or out of the Rural Market.

There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's