Schwan's

There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's

Unrealistic Expectations and Poor Management

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative
Current Employee - Route Sales Representative

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a pretty hefty discount on the food, which is good. Management is also very hands off while actually out in the field, and reasonable tools are provided to help boost sales. Fairly decent insurance and 401(k)

Cons

As of right now, RSR expectations are ridiculous. You are lucky if you can get by with an 11.5 hour day (my longest day pushes 14 hours). If you are sick or there is an emergency, you are required to make that day up on your day off. Sick days are non existent, vacation days are a joke compared to the amount of hours that you put in. Vertical advancement is non existent (there are only 2 real positions past RSR).

Realize that many of the drivers that are making the company all of the money actually have lives outside of the truck. No door-to-door salesman should ever be expected to knock on someones door at 9 o'clock at night.

325 Other Employee Reviews for Schwan's (View Most Recent)

Over worked, under paid.

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Benton, AR
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Benton, AR

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Once you leave the depot in the morning you are not watched over.

Cons

Remember that comment about not being watched over? Scratch that. you have a GPS. They know where you are, how long you were there. No family life, Out the door at 7:00am and back home by 10:00pm. These hours only get you $100.00 per day. $50 if your matrix is off in anyway. Commission is very bad. If you are having a good day which is seldom in this economy, you might sell $1000 a day. That amounts to about $20 in commission. Worse than minimum wage. We are hammered with new ideas from Marshall, MN. that they turn into contests for us and the payouts suck even if you win. There are hoops to jump thru everyday and it gets old not only for the employee but the customers get tired of seeing you out in a driving rain or snow storm pushing the latest and greatest contest that management has come up with. I have lost many a customer because of these contests. Then you are hounded to get your customer count up and knock on doors in the dark, only to be greeted by a protective dog or homeowner with a gun in your face. When was the last time that you saw a Schwans commercial? You are the companies commercial.

Enough with the contests already. One big one a year is enough. Let us build our routes the way we see fit. Let us have contests with our customers. This gets the customer actively involved. Let us have business cards with a Schwans logo on it. Lets us use social media as a way to bond our customers together to compete with each other. The food is way too pricy. Two pounds of salmon at walmart is half the price. I have tried both in a taste test and you can tell no difference.

They work you 70 to 80 hours a week and treat you like trash

Current Employee - RSR in Lowell, AR
    Current Employee - RSR in Lowell, AR

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The customers are great the team is pretty good the work is fairly easy

Cons

you have no family life you are expected to put Schwans above everything including your personnel safety I was often yelld at because i would not risk having an accident to try to make a sale if the road was icy or dangerous I refused to risk rolling my truck to get screamed at the next day I refused to break laws in small towns I was told Schwans was above the law Schwans can do whatever they want

If you relay want to stop the turnover you need to look closely at the TSL and how they treat you I personally have never been treated poorer by any company in my life

There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's