There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's

frustrating

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative
Current Employee - Route Sales Representative

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You have the opportunity to build your route so that you can have a good income. Not locked into an hourly rate where someone else tells you what you're worth. 40% discounts on Schwans food. Plus you get to meet lots of great people on routes!

Cons

Not nearly as much freedom as we had a few years ago. Upper management is micro-managing like crazy! Most of them have never run routes for Schwans and it shows! I understand that you have slackers for whom you have to hold their hands to get them through the day, but, this is nuts!

To those who came up with the "manifests" in Home Service and the people who approved them - get your heads out of your tech manuals and your rear-ends in the DRIVERS seat of a home service truck! Schwans needs to go through the "undercover boss" process immediately! You could do it internally and "save face."

reviews filtered by

Schwans Lies and misleads people.

Current Employee - RSR in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - RSR in Jackson, MI

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, but pricey for what you get

Cons

Here is what Schwans does to get you to work for them. They send you out with someone with highly productive routes. They say how everyone can achieve these results. Then you fall for the bait and hook. You are given a route that someone else ran into the ground. In Jackson MI we had reps violating the EBT rules and giving free items to customer for buying what the RSR asked them for. If you like myself are honest you wont break the law or rules and you route system falls apart. They also charge a 1.75 delivery fee. This fee is hidden to the customer by some RSR's. In the time I worked for Schwans I saw one RSR fired for drinking on the job and many others lying to customers like " We are having a sales contest and I need your support" when there is not a contest happening. Ask to see anything that shows a contest is actually happening.
         I do not want to come off ass a sour grape kind of guy, but I am saying the truth. Here is an example of other things Schwans does to its employees. We are required by the DOT to punch out and take a 30 minute break everyday. We are not to do ANY work while on break. Schwans tells us you have to make 10 calls per day to customers you are going to see that day and the next so they know you are coming. No "We cannot tell you to do this on your lunch break, but that would be the best time to call."
         Schwans DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE SAFETY OF ITS EMPLOYEES!!!! When a new set of tires or a major safety repair concern that will affect their bonuses they will put the repair off. Example June Of 2013 the DOT was doing stepped up patrols for violations. When this week came the supervisor for the depot would not let me drive my truck one day during this time. I asked he why and he said well I know you told me your steer tires were bad, but they are unsafe now. He further said matter of fact I am afraid to drive the truck to get the tires changed. That tells you how much an employees safety matters.
         In closing you can make decent money at Schwans and they have great benefits. Just remember all that matters to them is money. You are just a means to get more.

Update your truck fleet. Put the safety of your employees first. Stop saying it and do it.

Horrible

Current Employee - Customer Sales Distributor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Sales Distributor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company has fallen so far down in the last five years i'm not sure there is anything positive to say.

Cons

Supervisors micro manage from home. Had two raises in eight years. Pay is not competitive with similar jobs. Salary means you are expected to work 10-12 hour days at a minimum. Routes have gone to 20-25 deliveries a day with a 6 hour window to get them done. More and more is expected of you without anything extra in return.

Actually LEAVE your house and earn that 115k salary you get for doing absolutely nothing!!! You preach safety, yet we are told to drive unsafe trucks so the company can save repair cost!!! Safety should come before sales!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's