Schwan's

www.theschwanfoodcompany.com
  www.theschwanfoodcompany.com
There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's

Route Sales Rep (Trainee)

Current Employee - RSR (Trainee) in Fargo, ND
Current Employee - RSR (Trainee) in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are needed because retention rates for RSR's is moderately high. Good management at my depot. They are concerned about your development as a route driver. The company has a new CEO and is making a push for a better work/life balance, i.e. work 4 days a week for 12-14 hours each day. Weekly pay and opportunities to fill other route days to make more money. The highest compensation that I actually believe that an RSR can make for a year is about 80K for a 20 year RSR who has had the same route for many years. 2 year RSRs make about 40-50K.

Cons

Just finished my 4th week as a trainee. Current pay is $115 per day for fourteen hours. Comes out to about $8 per hour. Driving in all kinds of weather conditions, traffic, dogs, heat, cold, etc. If you are on a rural route restroom facilities are limited, even if you had time to stop and go. Sometimes it comes down to asking a customer to use their restroom (which is unprofessional) or going outside. I have heard of several RSRs soiling their pants because they were trying to hurry up and not stop.

This job is a balancing act. Company requires you to run about 70 stops on your route day while still expecting great customer engagement/service. If your stops are spread out you might have 30 seconds talk time per customer to take the order, then pull product from the truck, return and complete payment. Customers don't want to be rushed, and want to engage for a bit (especially the elderly ones) and take their time perusing the product book. It is unfortunate that we often have to contact the last 10-15 customers on our route that we can't get to them tonight because DOT rules for drive time have kicked-in. The customers say "why does Schwan's schedule so many customer stops per day"? Good question. If I had 40-50 stops there would be enough time, but then my total potential compensation for the day would be greatly reduced due to lack of commissions because of lower sales. The experienced RSRs know which customers will be home, who the good buyers are, and when they can skip them until next time. etc. What sucks is when you run somebody else's route and you don't know the customers you can skip over.

Equipment problems cause many heartaches. Truck problems, hand-held device problems, inventory problems, etc. GPS system can be challenging at times.

Spare no expense on top-of-the-line equipment and training. Cut route stops to 40-50 and adjust the commission rates so that a decent level of compensation can be maintained with fewer stops.

316 Other Employee Reviews for Schwan's (View Most Recent)

I really needed more

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative

I worked at Schwan's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good TSL at the Depot I worked for. Good bunch of people that I worked with as well.

Cons

When being an RSR for this company, make sure you know what you are getting into. They didn't tell me that the route was bad to begin with, so I was making up for someone else's mistakes, and really didn't have a good background in sales, so this position really didn't fit me well I think that it takes a specific person to do this job, I was the wrong piece to the puzzle, so I partially blame myself too.

Change the way things are done, not to be a huge burden on the RSR to make the money, you should be helping them make money too by doing a few more things than you are doing. Make goals easier to achieve, based on time on that route, and what happened the year before. How many transitions has this gone through.

Great company to work for! I loved working there and would still be there if they hadn't sold their call center.

Former Employee - Motivational Coach/Trainer in Marshall, MN
    Former Employee - Motivational Coach/Trainer in Marshall, MN

I worked at Schwan's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a very positive environment - call center management was upbeat, friendly and helpful. They give you every opportunity to move up in the company and help you develop the tools that you need to do so! Again, great place to work!

Cons

Honestly, everything was great about Schwans. The only thing I can think of to say against them, is that I feel its was a bad move on their part to outsource their call center... but they know that themselves now..

Get that call center back!! Since I left, I've heard so many complaints about how the quality of the customer service has gone downhill. The new company's retention is horrible, and the employees just don't learn/do their jobs well! And, by all means, CALL ME when you do! i'll be more than happy to come back!

There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's