Schwan's
www.theschwanfoodcompany.com Marshall, MN 5000+ Employees

Schwan's a place where people like to work???? Upper Management gets rid of long tenure Management Employees.

Location General Manager (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Schwan's

ProsThe pay and benefits is fair and for Management good. Awesome products. Some autonomy for Route Drivers and Warehouse Managers.

ConsLong hours 12 - 14 hours for Route Drivers, a Minimum of 12 is Mandatory. Longer hours for Location General Managers 70 to 80 hours per week, 6 days per week. Very weak recognition from upper management and Schwan's has recently eliminated almost all their recognition programs for employees. The sales and profit of the Home Service side of the company has been on a downward spiral since 2002. Very poor communication from the top down CEO Greg Flack to the Route Person Level. Micromanagement of employees and Managers. Inaccurate inventories and stock on route trucks and depot freezer due to cutting back of employees in the warehouse crews. These people work with a skeleton crew, some days when crew members are on vacation or sick, the warehouse manager or one crew member will have to pull and load as many as 20 trucks, this is not only dangerous but it makes Schwan's warehouse look like a sweasthop, your employees should be treated better than this. Overutilization of Termination at will clause with or without any reason. The Schwan Food Company does not show that it cares about its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry caring about and listening to your employees cares and concerns. Vice Presidents of Sales go out in the field to Depots and try treating your CSM's and LGM's with some respect, VP's don't just go to a depot with your DGM's and set in a corner on your laptop computer and ignore everyone . DGM's don't go to the depots and try to manage your LGM's people by barking orders or yelling and sometimes using profanity. DGM's quit comming to depots and asking your managers who are you going to terminate today or tomorrow. Ask how can we help some of your people be better CSM's. Start implementing some attainable incentive programs instead of using fear tactics, eg meet our expectations or be fired. Recognize your employees for their hard work as they are busting it for you. Shorten the work day for your Customer Service Managers and Location General Managers. Take a good look at your Human Resource Managers, their main objective should be to implement good ideas and programs to help employees grow and remain loyal to Schwan's not just focus on how can we terminate this person legally and save us from a lawsuit. Employees are your greatest asset, they should be treated as such. Quit terminating route people and Location General Managers and DGM's for no good reason other than the at will clause. I can name four long time Managers. I am speaking truthfully and from the heart as a past employee, I was a hardworking and very dedicated past upper Management employee spanning a career of more than two decades. The last couple of years with the Schwan Food Company was very different from the preceding two decades. For the founder's sake Marvin Schwan, if the company is to remain in business these things have to change.

Schwan's, come work for us and give up your family

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)
Rolla, MO

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros: No two days are alike, developing relationships with your customers, The… Cons: If you have a family, schwan's encourages you to to not be any where near them, 70+ hours a week at the minimum is only… Advice to Senior Management: Do you realize that your driving your CSM's to unionize? Your ever increasing hour requirements on top of your inability to create any amount… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Long Hour and No Life

CSM (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros: It's a paycheck Some of the customer are fun Cons: No life outside Schwan's due to long hours, 12 to 14 hour days is a must Little or no time off Low pay When starting… Advice to Senior Management: Better pay is needed for CSM for the long hours… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Schwan's.

Worked for Schwan's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schwan's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Schwan's CEO Dimitrios Smyrnios. All reviews posted anonymously by Schwan's employees.