There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's

POOR PAY PLAN

Former Employee - DO NOT WORK for SCHWANS in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - DO NOT WORK for SCHWANS in Chicago, IL

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

When you first start out you get to go to a special training class 40HRS. You get to eat SCHWANS products and the food is great. You are guaranteed $750 a week for a set period of time and overtime for extra days worked. But when you go on full commission forget it, SEE BELOW>

Cons

Not one route at my depot was making any kind of Chairman club dollars! Thats the top maybe 1% of routes in ILLINOIS. The guys that have those routes are pretty much rural where there is no shopping for people. Because SCHWANS prices are kinda high people look for value deals. No onin my depot has ever been a success and they just keep revolving the door for new suckers. You will not be able to make the numbers they put out there. This place sucks so run away......

Get with the times,your company sucks for employees. You treat them like dogs 60 hrs a week on avg. Mgrs dont do $@%#, they just send you out and are there when u get back if your lucky. Your company sux. Undercover boss would have a field day with this s#$@#y company.

303 Other Employee Reviews for Schwan's (View Most Recent)

Schwan's a place where people like to work???? Upper Management gets rid of long tenure Management Employees.

Former Employee - Location General Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Location General Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Schwan's

Pros

The pay and benefits is fair and for Management good. Awesome products. Some autonomy for Route Drivers and Warehouse Managers.

Cons

Long hours 12 - 14 hours for Route Drivers, a Minimum of 12 is Mandatory. Longer hours for Location General Managers 70 to 80 hours per week, 6 days per week. Very weak recognition from upper management and Schwan's has recently eliminated almost all their recognition programs for employees. The sales and profit of the Home Service side of the company has been on a downward spiral since 2002. Very poor communication from the top down CEO Greg Flack to the Route Person Level. Micromanagement of employees and Managers. Inaccurate inventories and stock on route trucks and depot freezer due to cutting back of employees in the warehouse crews. These people work with a skeleton crew, some days when crew members are on vacation or sick, the warehouse manager or one crew member will have to pull and load as many as 20 trucks, this is not only dangerous but it makes Schwan's warehouse look like a sweasthop, your employees should be treated better than this. Overutilization of Termination at will clause with or without any reason. The Schwan Food Company does not show that it cares about its employees.

Try caring about and listening to your employees cares and concerns. Vice Presidents of Sales go out in the field to Depots and try treating your CSM's and LGM's with some respect, VP's don't just go to a depot with your DGM's and set in a corner on your laptop computer and ignore everyone . DGM's don't go to the depots and try to manage your LGM's people by barking orders or yelling and sometimes using profanity. DGM's quit comming to depots and asking your managers who are you going to terminate today or tomorrow. Ask how can we help some of your people be better CSM's. Start implementing some attainable incentive programs instead of using fear tactics, eg meet our expectations or be fired. Recognize your employees for their hard work as they are busting it for you. Shorten the work day for your Customer Service Managers and Location General Managers. Take a good look at your Human Resource Managers, their main objective should be to implement good ideas and programs to help employees grow and remain loyal to Schwan's not just focus on how can we terminate this person legally and save us from a lawsuit. Employees are your greatest asset, they should be treated as such. Quit terminating route people and Location General Managers and DGM's for no good reason other than the at will clause. I can name four long time Managers. I am speaking truthfully and from the heart as a past employee, I was a hardworking and very dedicated past upper Management employee spanning a career of more than two decades. The last couple of years with the Schwan Food Company was very different from the preceding two decades. For the founder's sake Marvin Schwan, if the company is to remain in business these things have to change.

Schwan's, come work for us and give up your family

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Rolla, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Rolla, MO

I have been working at Schwan's

Pros

No two days are alike, developing relationships with your customers, The opportunity to learn and refine your abilities in sales and service.

Cons

If you have a family, schwan's encourages you to to not be any where near them, 70+ hours a week at the minimum is only the beginning, every other saturday has recently been made mandatory of all routes not earning $5850 (a weekly sales goal that is unreasonable in most rural route areas, this number is based off of densly/highly populated areas that dont exist for every hub). If you need a day off for family sickness or emergencies you are not afforded any sick time and must work your days off in order to "redeem" yourself. No clear guidance from management, only "back when in my day" speeches that quickly fizzle out into how you as a worker arent doing enough. Schwan's doesnt back up their CSM's in the field, poor product inventory and to many weekly "specials" (read: we over stocked on something and need you to clean out our supplies). My personal favorite is schwans dangling contests and incentives just in front of CSM's and then admitting that its a nigh un-obtainable goal that is only set up for certain demographics.

Do you realize that your driving your CSM's to unionize? Your ever increasing hour requirements on top of your inability to create any amount of time that your drivers can rest (revoking vacation requests days before they arrive because a manager refuses to give his vacation up?). You are on a fast track to becoming an obsolete company, and any time most of your employees are actively looking for other jobs, you need to realize that its not management or office person's that pay your bills, its the people that your are treating like crap

There are newer employer reviews for Schwan's