There are newer employer reviews for Scott & White Healthcare

Its not the best place, but uts ok

Current Employee - Staff RN
Current Employee - Staff RN

I have been working at Scott & White Healthcare

Pros

close to home, nice facilities

Cons

management does not listen to employees

listen to your employees, keep an eye on middle management, be aware of unit specific policies and monitor for fairness

reviews filtered by

Lots of Education, little Else

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Scott & White Healthcare

Pros

Free CEU's, however, you are required to have ACLS, and you have to pay for that certification. computerized charting, Barcode med administration,

Cons

Dangerous staffing levels on the cardiology floor sometimes, and float nurses often have to take patients with vasoactive drips they aren't familiar with due to staffing issues. Oncology sometimes has float nurses take pt on IV immunoglobin that they aren't familiar with due to staffing also. Not all nurses are certified with epidurals, yet end up taking patients with epidurals and spinal blocks. Experienced nurses often work 4 or more 12 hour shifts in a row, because management needs "seasoned nurses" on the floor, but nurses with less experience get the schedules they want. Frequent middle management turnover, leading to more and more changes in arbitrary rules and protocols on the floors that aren't in the policy's but will get you discliplined.

An open door policy or anonymous email service for staff to address concerns about middle management without fear of retaliation. Better staffing ratios. Make oncology and cardiology specialties, like they really should be. Most brand new med-surg nurses do NOT have the competencies to recognize a 1-2 postop open heart who may be having tamponade, or react quickly with a pt with ITP receiving IVIG who may be having a reaction. Scheduling policies that is friendlier to staff. Try to keep seasoned nurses, instead of letting them quit in disgust and hiring brand new grads every year. The new grads will burn out and quit as soon as they get there 1-2 year experience, and the cycle will keep repeating. Aim a little higher this time. Maybe not Magnet status...just something better, for the patients safety.

2. Overall I have had a positive experience at Scott and White.

I have been working at Scott & White Healthcare

Pros

They care about their employee's health, providing healthy incentives and motivating activities.
    Major employer in area giving credibility to your employment.

Cons

I am new to the company since the company I worked for merged with Scott and White. I am very disappointed with the salary for my job description and we have not been given an explanation for the low wage.

give explanation for the low wage

There are newer employer reviews for Scott & White Healthcare