There are newer employer reviews for Scottrade

Rapidly diving into mediocrity and obsolescence!

Current Employee - Stockbroker
Current Employee - Stockbroker

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, work/life balance, benefits - but they're increasing premiums faster than pay increases.

Cons

Just about everything else! Inferior platforms, incompetent operations staff at HQ but when you pay 12-13/hr, you get what you pay for. Inferior services and everything involves paperwork. When my wife had an E-trade account before I became an employee, I requested a check online - I didn't have to call and speak with anyone. The bank is truly pathetic and the fact that each bank account is tied to a parent brokerage account, thus no transferability between multiple bank and brokerage accounts is so archaic it's just ridiculous. You will get tired of your clients belittling you and saying "so what do you do" after you tell them that you don't offer advice. If I had a penny for every time I heard that I'd be retired. How rewarding is that when you're mocked by your clients on a daily basis. If you like being sworn at and insulted and spending multiple hours per day helping 93 year-olds reset their passwords, then by all means Scottrade is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Get with the program and ditch the overly conservative legal counsel and management filling Roger's head with paranoid dribble. The "it's a business decision" garbage is getting really old. We have no excuse for being rapidly left behind by the competition and if you think you can continue to blame your branch personnel for the failing company, you're going to be left with subpar branch staff real quick. Put the Branch Admin department (which is a useless bureaucratic waste of a department anyway) in it's place.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good place to gain experience

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with and still has that small company feel even though it keeps growing. 401k contribution is really good, and you also get good employee perks for other services Scottrade offers.

Cons

Doesn't pay well compared to what the market median would offer. Bonuses were good a few years ago but have shrank considerably.

2. Great work environment.

Current Intern - Intern in Edmond, OK
    Current Intern - Intern in Edmond, OK

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers. Unlimited access to financial tools. Great learning opportunities. Excellent corporate culture and communications with the home office.

Cons

Much of the information you learn is very firm specific. An intern will not be able to answer many of the questions due to regulations.

Advice to Management

Great job! Maybe add a little more personal interaction to the training process rather than just reading page after page.