Scottrade

www.scottrade.com
  www.scottrade.com
There are newer employer reviews for Scottrade

Change is rarely comfortable, but necessary to stay competitive.

Current Employee - Branch Manager
Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Scottrade is privately owned, which has allowed the executive management team to make strategic decisions based on what's best for employees and clients, not on meeting earnings. The pay is below the industry average, but the benefits are generous; and the Human Resource department strives to help each employee maintain a satisfactory work/life balance. In order to stay competitive and to continue to grow, upper management has embarked on an exciting, new path of asset gathering. With the new direction has come an updated job description, additional products and services, a new incentive plan, and additional training. It has given the branch associates the opportunity to better serve their clients while earning more money. Despite the reviews to the contrary, it has been my experience that Scottrade's strong corporate culture has remained intact. Scottrade has strong leadership that genuinely cares about the employees and the long term health of the company. As with any company, a sweeping change in direction will be met with resistance and unforseen problems will crop up, but upper management invites, encourages, and listens to feedback.

Cons

The pay is below the industry average, but the new incentive plan is changing that. There is little room for advancement in the branches. An associate would have to be willing to move to a headquarters location to advance beyond the Branch Manager position. The branches are tasked with too much paper/busy work, and there is not enough coordination among headquarters departments; however, upper management is actively working to improve this situation and create the appropriate infrastructure to allow branch associates to focus on more important tasks.

I'm optimistic about the new direction, but I hope that as the strategy evolves, upper management will find better ways to evaluate different types of branches. A broad-based, one-size-fits-all push to meet certain sales metrics is not productive or sustainable. I appreciate leadership's dedication to continual improvement throughout the firm. Keep up the good work!

500 Other Employee Reviews for Scottrade (View Most Recent)

Branch Intern

Current Employee - Branch Intern
    Current Employee - Branch Intern

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Loved the employees and branch manager working there
    -Taught a lot of new information that I didn't learn in the classroom
    -Was given some freedom but limited without having any licenses

Cons

-A lot of workflow and operational duties but should be expected with any internship
    -could get slow at times
    -somewhat difficult to stay busy during a shift

-Upper management is good from what I could tell. I would suggest allowing more one-on-one time between managers and interns to learn a little bit more.

Started off fun, but very quickly went south, with minimal guidance, makes it difficult for one to be successful.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Scottrade as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Working for a well known company.

Cons

Having a "student" teach another "student" on how things are done within the org. As well as poor guidance from upper level management. Both parties were destination to fail.

Be there more often. Time management is huge. Have a true knowledge of the organization, and being able to translate that to new employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Scottrade