There are newer employer reviews for Scottrade

I learned what it was like to work in a corporate environment, as well as use critical thinking to accomplish a task.

Current Employee - Service Center in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Service Center in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Scottrade as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Management is friendly and knowledgeable.

Cons

I only worked there a few months as an intern, so I don't have any cons

466 Other Employee Reviews for Scottrade (View Most Recent)

Amazing job for a recent grad after the internship!

Current Employee - Investment Consultant
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, amazing learning resources, and good opportunities to make money. Management sets you up to succeed in any change they make. The only way to fail with this company is to slack off and think they'll pay you for nothing.

Cons

It's tough to think of many cons. There are constantly changing metrics to focus on as the company changes its focus. Policy and software changes take a few days to get used to.

Keep up the amazing work!

"Gets worse by the year..."

Former Employee - Investment Consultant
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant

I worked at Scottrade full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good friends for coworkers. 401k match, wellness program, insurance benefits, free lunches on occasion.

Cons

Scottrade used to be a great company to work for until they hired someone from TD Ameritrade and decided to pretty much model after TD Ameritrade. Couple years ago the culture was very family oriented and you could tell they valued their employees and clients as people. Now most all the employees there are expendable and they basically want sales robots/drones. You are nothing more than human resources and the clients are seen as nothing more than how much money can they bring into the firm and make off them. You also have numbers each quarter to hit and if your not hitting above then you get a nice sit down interrogation from your manager about what needs to happen or they can boot you out the door. Also it seems they keep ADDING more requirements and duties every quarter and year! Used to be you take a phone call or help a walk in client and see what else you can do to help them and that was it for most part other than some reports and seminars. You could also get to know your clients pretty well and take little more time when needed. Now your required to be making phone calls more so than taking walk inns or inbound calls! They also seem to be adding more big brother tracking and monitoring software each quarter as well to their system. If it's not in the system it never happened they say. Wow well last I remember we never had to track anything and didn't even have a relationship database software. You got emails for leads and new accounts and you made a simple phone call and that was it. Meanwhile they say they have an incentive plan and that this is going to be Scottrade's best years to come. Yeah sure. Unless you somehow get lucky to work in the big city branches don't count on making much there in bonuses. I actually put in effort and still is hard to find people with money in this area and then they have to be willing to move it. The 401k match is actually really the only perk to get excited about other than benefit insurances. I also noticed Scottrade has gotten extremely cheap such as getting rid of the Wall Street journal for clients to read, cheaper boring black pens, non innovative website, ect. I recently paid a visit to another firm to move my 401k and open a brokerage account and it made me smile because looks like they are going to put Scottrade out of business. There was a HUGE branch difference. I'm not going to say which firm only that it's not TD ameritrade and it's definitely not Scottrade. This company is full of liars at the top and I can prove that per prior conference calls and what I've seen and heard. It NEVER used to be this way! Go back few years ago it was consistently in top 15-50 companies to work for, now as of recently this year it was rated 172. All in all if you want a high stress environment, like being micromanaged and criticized (even when working yourself tirelessly day in and day out) and wonder if you will have your job the next quarter then this might be the place for you.

Good luck!