Scottrade

www.scottrade.com
  www.scottrade.com
There are newer employer reviews for Scottrade

Amazing job for a recent grad after the internship!

Current Employee - Investment Consultant
Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, amazing learning resources, and good opportunities to make money. Management sets you up to succeed in any change they make. The only way to fail with this company is to slack off and think they'll pay you for nothing.

Cons

It's tough to think of many cons. There are constantly changing metrics to focus on as the company changes its focus. Policy and software changes take a few days to get used to.

Keep up the amazing work!

512 Other Employee Reviews for Scottrade (View Most Recent)

So excited I can finally ACAT all my accounts to TD after I quit! :D

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Scottrade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gave me my S7/63.
    Gave me experience working in a corporate environment.
    All the neighboring branches used to be like a big family. We have barbecues and outings. Bonuses were pretty low though, like $900 per quarter low, but benefits are above average. Used to be a good starting job for recent grads.

Now (or since Jan 2013), I would say the only pro working at Scottrade is if you work at a big city branch with lots of assets so you can hit your sales numbers. Then you can get a big bonus (i.e. if you bring in $50k, they give you $110... $100k for 220, HUGE, right?). No cold calling, only "warm leads". I mean, it makes business sense for the company to switch to sales, but it's just not for me.

Cons

The only challenge is the people and upper management. The work we do is a piece of cake and does not require any kind of skills whatsoever. You are lucky if you get a good manager, otherwise your career at Scottrade will be nothing but misery. Because you will have absolutely NO contact with upper management (HQ), except through your manager. In some branches, we "share" closes so each will always have the same number of closes or someone is slightly ahead. Makes sense for people to want to look good and I understand, but stop backstabbing the people you manage. If you choose to work here, try your best to get a good manager OMG. You will thank me after.

Best example to illustrate:
    One quarter I had enough "attempts", but did not hit the target close, HQ manager complained. Fair enough. The very next quarter, I made sure to have enough closes, she complained about me not making enough "attempts". What else can I say? I'm leaving and I'm not eligible for the incentive bonus. I am doing all these closes so the money goes to YOU.

I wasn't laid off, I'm going back to school. But there are layoffs, they have creative ways!

There is a reason why I have a network of million dollar accounts, but choose not to solicit them to Scottrade. Stop complaining, try working in a slow branch and let's see how many assets you can bring in. Close more branches, figure out who are the liars and good luck.

Circling the drain...

Former Employee - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Scottrade full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Initial on-boarding was painless. Fellow developers were generally great to work with.

Cons

Project management at Scottrade is, quite frankly, a disaster. Projects are always late - this almost entirely due to incompetent project management. Scottrade has assembled a team of project managers (with one or two exceptions) who measure progress by the number of meetings they can schedule, who refuse to listen to anyone who tells them anything that doesn't fit in with their preconceived notions, and are exceedingly creative in coming up with ways to waste everyone's time. Other management and team leaders are unable or unwilling to address the obvious problems with Scottrade's project managers.

You have a talented group of software developers - they are NOT the reason projects are always late.

There are newer employer reviews for Scottrade