There are newer employer reviews for Scottrade

Amazing job for a recent grad after the internship!

Current Employee - Investment Consultant
Current Employee - Investment Consultant

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, amazing learning resources, and good opportunities to make money. Management sets you up to succeed in any change they make. The only way to fail with this company is to slack off and think they'll pay you for nothing.

Cons

It's tough to think of many cons. There are constantly changing metrics to focus on as the company changes its focus. Policy and software changes take a few days to get used to.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Mind numbing, sales job...

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Scottrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady paycheck. Clients still think of us as we were a year or so ago, but will soon realize that there is no time for current clients unless "opportunities" are uncovered in you. Good 401k match, time off and sick days. Bonuses compensate for low pay (almost).

Cons

TD and Schwab guys are changing the entire culture which is making the company just another trading website with mediocre and clunky tools to trade with. The branches are suppose to add value to the client but really they are just becoming awkward quiet offices where associates tap away at their keyboards trying to "document" all "contacts". It doesn't matter how much work you do in the office, if it's not an asset gathering contact recorded in the crm software it never occurred. Clients are time wasters preventing the associate from making sales calls and reaching their daily required numbers. The job is boring and really your just a glorified sales/customer service rep. Website has constant problems and very frustrated clients. Not a career. Just a sales job, if that's what your looking for. Lock yourself in the back room and start making cold.....I mean warm calls.

Advice to Management

Sales activities will grow assets in the short term but the cultural shift is beginning to grow very fast. Branches are awkward and quiet with clients whispering so the desk and clients right next to you can't hear their private financial information. If this is the direction the company is going it would be more beneficial to bring all associates to HQ and forget the branch idea.

So excited I can finally ACAT all my accounts to TD after I quit! :D

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Scottrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gave me my S7/63. Gave me experience working in a corporate environment. All the neighboring branches used to be like a big family. We have barbecues and outings. Bonuses were pretty low though, like $900 per quarter low, but benefits are above average. Used to be a good starting job for recent grads. Now (or since Jan 2013), I would say the only pro working at Scottrade is if you work at a big city branch with lots of assets so you can hit your sales numbers. Then you can get a big bonus (i.e. if you bring in $50k, they give you $110... $100k for 220, HUGE, right?). No cold calling, only "warm leads". I mean, it makes business sense for the company to switch to sales, but it's just not for me.

Cons

The only challenge is the people and upper management. The work we do is a piece of cake and does not require any kind of skills whatsoever. You are lucky if you get a good manager, otherwise your career at Scottrade will be nothing but misery. Because you will have absolutely NO contact with upper management (HQ), except through your manager. In some branches, we "share" closes so each will always have the same number of closes or someone is slightly ahead. Makes sense for people to want to look good and I understand, but stop backstabbing the people you manage. If you choose to work here, try your best to get a good manager OMG. You will thank me after. Best example to illustrate: One quarter I had enough "attempts", but did not hit the target close, HQ manager complained. Fair enough. The very next quarter, I made sure to have enough closes, she complained about me not making enough "attempts". What else can I say? I'm leaving and I'm not eligible for the incentive bonus. I am doing all these closes so the money goes to YOU. I wasn't laid off, I'm going back to school. But there are layoffs, they have creative ways!

Advice to Management

There is a reason why I have a network of million dollar accounts, but choose not to solicit them to Scottrade. Stop complaining, try working in a slow branch and let's see how many assets you can bring in. Close more branches, figure out who are the liars and good luck.