Scottrade

www.scottrade.com

So excited I can finally ACAT all my accounts to TD after I quit! :D

Investment Consultant (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGave me my S7/63.
Gave me experience working in a corporate environment.
All the neighboring branches used to be like a big family. We have barbecues and outings. Bonuses were pretty low though, like $900 per quarter low, but benefits are above average. Used to be a good starting job for recent grads.

Now (or since Jan 2013), I would say the only pro working at Scottrade is if you work at a big city branch with lots of assets so you can hit your sales numbers. Then you can get a big bonus (i.e. if you bring in $50k, they give you $110... $100k for 220, HUGE, right?). No cold calling, only "warm leads". I mean, it makes business sense for the company to switch to sales, but it's just not for me.

ConsThe only challenge is the people and upper management. The work we do is a piece of cake and does not require any kind of skills whatsoever. You are lucky if you get a good manager, otherwise your career at Scottrade will be nothing but misery. Because you will have absolutely NO contact with upper management (HQ), except through your manager. In some branches, we "share" closes so each will always have the same number of closes or someone is slightly ahead. Makes sense for people to want to look good and I understand, but stop backstabbing the people you manage. If you choose to work here, try your best to get a good manager OMG. You will thank me after.

Best example to illustrate:
One quarter I had enough "attempts", but did not hit the target close, HQ manager complained. Fair enough. The very next quarter, I made sure to have enough closes, she complained about me not making enough "attempts". What else can I say? I'm leaving and I'm not eligible for the incentive bonus. I am doing all these closes so the money goes to YOU.

I wasn't laid off, I'm going back to school. But there are layoffs, they have creative ways!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a reason why I have a network of million dollar accounts, but choose not to solicit them to Scottrade. Stop complaining, try working in a slow branch and let's see how many assets you can bring in. Close more branches, figure out who are the liars and good luck.

It was a great learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Scottrade

Pros: It is one of the best places to work. Employee perks, prizes, gifts are great bonus.… Cons: Small branch size, there may be more coworkers at the… Advice to Senior Management: Don't let the small branch size hinder employees from advancement. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

"Gets worse by the year..."

Investment Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Scottrade full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Good friends for coworkers. 401k match, wellness program, insurance… Cons: Scottrade used to be a great company to work for until they hired someone from TD Ameritrade and decided to pretty much model after TD… Advice to Senior Management: Good luck! No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Scottrade.

Worked for Scottrade? Contribute to the Community!