Scotts Miracle-Gro

www.scotts.com
  www.scotts.com
There are newer employer reviews for Scotts Miracle-Gro

The best part of my experience were the associates I worked with! I made some life-long friends at this company.

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro as an intern

Pros

-very friendly, down to earth associates, many times you'll see the CEO around speaking to associates
-wellness center ($10 per year for personal training with group exercise classes included...??? UNHEARD OF ELSEWHERE!)
-many Friday afternoons during the summer, corp. would pay us to take the afternoon off

Cons

- its still a bit backwards, I hate to say but too many people who work there seem to never read and have no idea how much their field has progressed
- HR seriously needs to hire people to actually do proper recruiting to attract talent
- not enough mixture of old and young who work there, they really need to be more progressive

Attract better talent from reputed schools

182 Other Employee Reviews for Scotts Miracle-Gro (View Most Recent)

It used to be a great company to work for....

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Fair bonus structure if in the northern 2/3's of the country. Recently added a program to support community/charitable events.

Cons

Company is having a hard time competing in southern markets and finding conpetent leadership direction in these markets. Again great company in northern markets. Work/life balance unfavorable.

Invest more to support field positions in southern region, acknowledge failed strategies and hold regional ledership accountable.

Giving up your hopes and dreams

Current Employee - Merchandiser (MC) in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Merchandiser (MC) in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro about this company is that my hourly wage was sufficient at $14/hr. My manager always let me have the most hours out of the season.

Cons

HR department is worthless and don't care if you have worked for the company for years. I have never been given a verbal warning or even been written up. My track record for the last 3+ years have been perfect. I have never even called off sick for work in my 3+ years. I have been an extremely worthy employee for this company. The career opportunities for this company is crap. I applied for a job in Kentucky a couple months ago and had an interview the next day after I had applied. The interview went well and they said there wouldn't be any problem with me being hired for the position. A couple days later I saw the same position for sales manager in Cincinnati, Ohio. Since it was in the same state that I reside, I decided to apply for that job and withdraw my application from the job in Kentucky. I gave my reasons for withdrawing from the job to the company and still no call from the HR department for an interview for the job in Cincinnati. My district manager knew about my application and wondered why I haven't had my interview yet. So he called them and told me what HR said. They said, "We're not going to go any further with him in the application process because of the discrepancy from another job he applied for in Kentucky." That's bull crap!!!!! My manager shrugged it off and didn't fight for me!!!! He said that there was nothing he can do about it. I worked my ass off to get this job and now HR want's to use an irrelevant excuse to disqualify me as a competent applicant? That's a load of crap. I'm pretty sure that violates the EEOC act. Overall, I had all the necessary qualifications for the job, including academic experience, and more than enough field experience.

Utilize the employees that are actually doing their job right and hire them for jobs they are already competent to perform. Treat your employees like people not like a piece of paper. There are hard-working employees, such as myself, that have been working hard for opportunities. So let them have a chance to prove themselves.

There are newer employer reviews for Scotts Miracle-Gro