There are newer employer reviews for Scotts Miracle-Gro

Scotts Miracle Gro is a good company

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro

Pros

Scotts is a good company to work for. The sales rep position is a goodpostion to start with the company. Starting base salary is around 30k. Good reps can make 45K+ with commissions. Great position if you do not have a family. Long hours during peak times, and rarely get a Saturday off. Good opportunity for advancement if you're a performer. Great benefits package, matching 401k, FSA spending account. During seasonal lay-off, Scotts pays all medical benefits.

Cons

Don't even think about taking a personal day. Expected to work even when sick. If a day is taken off, prepare to be ridiculed. This position is seasonal for the 1st 60 days. Once the companyrealizes you can perform, then it becomes full-time. If you live in the North or in the colder areas, expect to only work for 8-10 months before lay-off.

Pick and choose battles with employees. Do not micro-manage performers. Work with sales force to reach attainable goals. Don't threaten sales staff by saying "you're replaceable". Respect all employees in the facility. Technicians and sales force need to work as a team, not opponents.

169 Other Employee Reviews for Scotts Miracle-Gro (View Most Recent)

Good stuff

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Scotts Miracle-Gro

Pros

I enjoy working with Scotts. It is very fun. I have plenty of chances to move up and show them what I am made of. HooRah

Cons

The pallets are very heavy. I dont like lifting things that are heavy. The people at the stores arent very smart.

Keep doing what you are doing. This is a good company with mostly good people. I would love to continue to work for scotts.

Scotts-Average and Disorganized

Former Employee - Intern  in  Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Marysville, OH

I worked at Scotts Miracle-Gro

Pros

1. People-The people were generally fun to work with/for. This didn't always make for getting your work done, but overall it made what you did accomplish fun.
    2. Trying to implement change-Though Scotts was a bit backward and inefficient, they did seem to be making at least somewhat of an effort to initiate changes throughout the organization, so there is still some potential for growth as a company
    3. CEO-Hagedorn was an eccentric and very interesting guy. Very real.
    4. Seemed to do a pretty good job of promoting from within.

Cons

1. Disorganized-Projects would be dropped as soon as they weren't an immediate priority, and then you'd be dealing with the same project and the same issues that were never resolved a year later.
    2. Not cutting edge-People seemed relatively resistant to change. IT was a mess. They were uncompromising in many ways on new technologies. If it wasn't exactly to their specifications, they wouldn't use it.
    3. Feedback-Awful. From my personal experience, I had to hound my supervisors to give me feedback and once they did, it was half-assed and consisted of things I already knew.

1. A better developed intern program
    2. Include feedback
    3. More meaningful projects complete with set deliverables, a timeline and periodic updates on the project
    4. A more long term view of the company

There are newer employer reviews for Scotts Miracle-Gro

Worked for Scotts Miracle-Gro? Contribute to the Community!