Great Family Company

Current Employee - Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Family Friendly
Nice New Office Downtown Minneapolis
Co-Workers
Opportunity
Parking reimbursement allowance

Cons

Older based software (Suppose to have company wide make over in Fall/Winter 2013)

Continue giving all employees opportunities to speak with mid/upper management.

Other Reviews for Scoular Company

Family company

Former Employee - IDS  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - IDS in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Scoular Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people were the best and I worked in a fast paced environment. Participating in the global economy was the most exciting thing. Exporting to 8-9 countries in Asia out of North and South America was a great experience. I only had to leave because the Navy transferred my wife. I wish I was still employed at this exceptional company because I could have really grown my career there.

Cons

The computer systems were not the most up-to-date. HR department confused me quit a bit with my benefits, but it I admit it is not my area of expertise.

Keep growing with new technology and teaching your people for the ever increase business challenges that face us today.

Excellent career based workplace--working out the kinks

Current Employee - Merchant Assistant  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Scoular Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

My boss hired me with little/no industry experience because my skills and aptitudes fit the position they were looking to fill. I am astonished by how few companies do this in this day and age--I had been turned down by job after job because I had no experience. I can't praise my team at Scoular enough for the initiative they put into recruiting young people and training them into their careers. Although I am entry-level and in a support staff position, since I have started my group has showed me that their priority is developing my roll in a way which both suits my aptitudes and my interests.

I was hired with a competitive salary and a full benefits package. The social environment is friendly and the company is not shy about putting money toward social events for its employees. The office is clean and lovely, supplies of any kind are easily made available, and the schedule is flexible and accommodating.

Cons

There is a bit of an "old school" vibe still alive at Scoular, despite the many progressive movements of the company. It is a commodity trading business, after all, so there is a fast-paced, high pressure environment around the goal of making money. I would say that the support staff is not always treated as respectfully as they should be, depending on the leadership in the group. The traders are given a lot of leeway to act as they see fit, and it can have the tendency to make those in support roles feel like they are under-valued. Upper management and HR take little interest in issues of workplace behavior between traders and support.

As mentioned by other reviewers on this website, some positions do seem like dead-ends. I would recommend to any reader considering an opportunity at Scoular to have a frank conversation with your contact to ensure that the position you are applying for is one with the potential for growth. I imagine this is the same with any other company: some groups are growing, some are dying, and some have been the same as they have been for the last 30 years. Support staff rarely make the jump to trading, so be aware of that if you are applying for an M.A. position with aspirations to sell grain.

Lastly, HR does not offer resources for lateral career development at Scoular, nor do they get involved in employee disputes. These two traditional roles of an HR department are vital, I believe, and I question why they are not in existence here now.

Get involved and listen to your support staff a little more, consider incorporating some flexibility into the corporate hierarchy to promote more communication about job satisfaction, restructure HR to offer resources for more lateral and upward movement within groups.

There are newer employer reviews for Scoular Company.

Worked for Scoular Company? Contribute to the Community!