There are newer employer reviews for Scribd

Great vision, poor leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Scribd

Pros

talented, smart people
fun environment
good compensation

Cons

poor leadership and communication
lack of involvement from the board or adult supervision

Scribd Response

Jun 23, 2014Co-founder

13 Other Employee Reviews for Scribd (View Most Recent)

Talented people, wasted opportunities due to mis-management

I worked at Scribd

Pros

- Great core product
    - Creative environment
    - Smart people

Cons

-Terrible management--decisions are made regularly that are at odds with what would be best for the company and employees
    -Needs more board oversight
    - Lack of focus on goals--ideas are abandoned too quickly, strategy shifts too often

Scribd Response

Jun 23, 2014Co-founder

Although this review was written several years ago, I feel it is important to respond for people who are reading this now and are wondering what it says about Scribd. (Note: I left the same response ... More

Exciting times, new company!

I have been working at Scribd full-time

Pros

Morale of team: Scribd's ride has been the equivalent to a roller-coaster up until our book subscription service. However this new vision has given life to Scribd and it's employees. Churn is at an all time low, and people are genuinely motivated to create the best product for our users.

Design: Once again, prior to our subscription service, design was nearly an after thought, but we now have a full fledged design team with a VP of Design, 3 visual designers and a UX designer. Design is now an extremely important part in our product lifecycle.

Engineering: Lots of fun challenges, given the scale and the uniqueness of the problems we are trying to solve. It's not your simple CRUD app ;) We are trying to innovate in a book space that has been untapped, so you often won't find answers to our problems on Stack Overflow.

Competition: We now have some! When we were strictly a document sharing service, we were the only kids in the park, now we have some great competitors that make us even better. Not to mention it's extremely fun now ;)

Career Development: Scribd has been extremely kind in growing people's career, particularly the younger crowd. Typically engineers/designers/etc right out/few years out of school have things to prove, and if you harness that energy you can turn those employees into great mentors and leaders. Often hear from friends at other companies in which their managers don't care about their career, you won't run into this at Scribd.

Cons

Our headcount is growing. We are running into some communication issues that we are learning to correct, but often after the fact. This isn't a unique problem to Scribd, but hopefully we can get ahead of the curve here.

Additionally, I want to address the cons that other reviews left. Being here for more than 3 years I can confirm that some of these problems people described used to exist, keyword is USED. Given Scribd's new directions, management and fresh blood, I can say that most if not all the problems previously listed are gone.

Company is growing fast, so while it's difficult to stay transparent, it's extremely important. We are still a small company, and while it's important to stay transparent no matter what size of a company you are dealing with, it's even more important to stay transparent when it's expected in a small company.

There are newer employer reviews for Scribd

Worked for Scribd? Contribute to the Community!