Scripps Health
www.scripps.org San Diego, CA 5000+ Employees

Scripps Health - A Good Health System to Work for in San Diego

Senior Director (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Scripps Health

ProsOne of the best reasons is the location. However, Scripps is also beginning to have a national reputation for forward thinking. The CEO is very competent. Their compensation is fair for a health care system. Leadership's committment to communicating with managers and above is tremendous for an organization of it's size. Most employees I dealt with had strong moral.

Scripps is also becoming the dominant healthcare organization in the San Diego region.

Scripps recognizes that work is not everything and goes to great lengths to ensure that employee satisfaction is monitored. Executive bonus payments are in part based on employee satisfaction scores.

ConsAlmost all meaningful decisions are made at the senior executive level. There are very opportunities to participate in decision making, even as a senior director or vice president.

Like most large organizations, there are competing factions within Scripps Health that vy for influence with senior leadership. This internal competition seems to be almost encouraged by the CEO. As a result, there is a culture of secrecy and "scheming" among the senior executives.

There are limited opporunities for advancement. Most leadership positions are held by individuals who are long entrenched and will not be moving on soon. Also, Scripps has a history of hiring from the outside to fill leadership positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to look for opportunities to enhance Scripps' reputation. Look for ways to identify and cultivate "up and comers".

Great place to retire on the job

Project Manager (Former Employee)
La Jolla, CA

I worked at Scripps Health

Pros: Has a great reputationa and has no financial problems Cons: Lazy disengaged management, poor HR processes. Some employees enjoy a flexible schedule but this isn't consistently offered. Very slow to respond to the gas crisis… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to the employee surveys and don't accept excuses. I think Chris really gets it and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Poor pay for long term employees, good for new employees.

Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee)
La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Scripps Health

Pros: Employees are friendly. The work environment is good. There is… Cons: Difficult to get promotion. Promotions are based on who you… Advice to Senior Management: Praise employees more. Better incentive for achievements No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Scripps Health.

Worked for Scripps Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Scripps Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Scripps Health CEO Chris Van Gorder. All reviews posted anonymously by Scripps Health employees.