Scripps Networks Interactive

Scripps Networks - Knoxville TN

Current Employee - Manager in Knoxville, TN
Current Employee - Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Scripps Networks Interactive

Pros

This company is an overall great employer in this area of East Tennessee. Good benefits and fair salary for this area. The best thing about this company is the respect for employees and the opportunity for work-life balance. The company has strong core values. Explore the web site and search under job opportunities. Check out the core values. My advice is that even if you apply for a position that is not your first choice here, the key here is to get your foot in the door. After about 1 or 2 years in any position the ability to move into another position is definitely a possibility provided you have shown your worthiness and strengths. Scripps Networks promotes from within if at all possible. The location is great for young families with school aged children (here in Knoxville where the HQ is located), it is also a great place to locate if you are a single person because of the relatively low cost of living. We also have offices in all the major media advertising markets including NYC and Chicago etc which are mostly sales positions or other support positions. On the website you can search by geographic location or department to see the open positions. Most of the corporate functions are in Knoxville TN though. Good Luck!

Cons

Sometimes I have felt the HR department is reluctant to dismiss (terminate) or discipline managers who behave or perform badly. I believe that sometimes these individuals are promoted or reassigned instead of being dealt with in a straighforward manner. In my experience most other companies I have worked for are not as reluctant to terminate employees who are not quite up to the job. It can be frustrating because at times I have felt that the company rewards bad behavior. even promotes those individuals to get them out of one department and into another department just to diffuse a situation instead of dealing with the real problem person(s). In addition there seems to definitely be a "good ole boy" network - "I will look the other way this time" - "and don't do it again" type of system in place in HR which is OK as long as you are not in one of those lucky departments who recieve the transplanted individual.

More individual recognition to top performers would be nice. Peer reviews would be nice. Everyone seems to like the new annual bonus plan for managers. Is there any future possibility for the bonus plan to be made available to hourly employees? I think this would be a great incentive for recruiting and retaining the best workers. More emphasis on training is needed in all areas for managers and hourly employees alike. Training is almost non-existent for most positions - all I have ever had is on-the-job training of myself by myself with maybe a week shadowing with my predecessor each time I have changed positions.

94 Other Employee Reviews for Scripps Networks Interactive (View Most Recent)

Scripps is a great launching pad for Media careers.

Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Scripps Networks Interactive

Pros

The people are AMAZING. This is a great place for entry level employees. There is a strong focus on education and growth. You are given the ability to wear many hats, and see where you fit best. Management is very encouraging of career advancement, and will give you the time to review your resume, etc. if you're applying for a promotion, even if it's in another department.

Cons

There are always corporate policies that you kind of shake your head at, but overall there really aren't any notable downsides. The starting pay was great for me, but I've heard that the salary increases aren't on level with other cable networks (can not speak to that with confidence, however).

Continue to encourage morale and pride with the employees and the network they represent. Any opportunities for outside activities, or other extra-work events should be fully supported and expanded. Having network screenings is also a great way to help connect the employees with their networks.

An Excellent PLace to Work

I have been working at Scripps Networks Interactive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Committed to growing the business and has great leadership in place.

Cons

It is located in Knoxville, TN

There are newer employer reviews for Scripps Networks Interactive