There are newer employer reviews for Scripps

Clarity of Policies

I worked at Scripps full-time

Pros

Benefits, medium-sized salaries, good working environment, friendly co-workers.

Cons

Our department wasn't allowed to attend all meetings which in my opinion, were imperative. Policies were well defined through online training however, changed from time to time within our local station (unwritten) and were not well-defined on a local level, mostly regarding PTO and how it was supposed to be used. It was defined one way in the company-wide meeting and seminar but then changed later, too late for some of us in our department causing unjust 'warning' letters about our attendance. Also, those in our local station could not move up or move into different departments due to Scripps bringing in their 'own' people, after our station being bought. Little or no opportunities for advancement.

57 Other Employee Reviews for Scripps (View Most Recent)

A remarkable opportunity.

Former Employee - Photographer in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Photographer in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Scripps full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good company to work for as a journalist, as newspaper companies go. They do want to do good work and will let you and encourage you to do so, although much depends on the particular place you're at.

Cons

They will work you like a dog if you let them. Had multiple editors who thought that unpaid overtime was owed to the paper habitually, out of love of the profession, and questioning that was disloyal. I did it for a while and then stood my ground and I'm glad I did, or I would have been miserable -- and never able to do anything good.

Read the story of the goose that laid the golden egg. It's not complicated.

Contradictory policies

Former Employee - Freelance Writer in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Freelance Writer in Naples, FL

I worked at Scripps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They pay on time and without too much of a hitch

Cons

They pay very little on time without too much of a hitch. Even though you may be perfectly acceptable to work for them as a 1099 contractor, getting a full time position is entirely another matter altogether. It's almost as if you don't exist even though you are already posting news articles for them as a freelance contractor.

I don't have any advice that would be seriously taken into account. However, when you buy cheap labor, you get cheap labor.

There are newer employer reviews for Scripps