Scynexis

www.scynexis.com

Strong company that hires the best in the scientific community.

Contract Chemist (Former Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsScynexis is a young company filled with upstart scientists with something to prove to the pharmaceutical industry. Although they are as reserved as most Europeans are, the management are quite friendly and the atmosphere is very relaxed. Salaries are quite competative for the industry and North Carolina.

Scynexis spreads its work over two areas: research with a large pharma partnership, and contract chemicals. This allows the company to make a profit (as long as larger companies keep ordering custom chemicals) while still doing research on their own intellectual property.

Scynexis is located centrally between Raleigh and Durham in the beautiful area of Research Triangle Park.

ConsObtaining a permanent position with Scynexis is extremely difficult. The company "employs" contract workers (with no benefits) for most non-scientific positions and many sub-PhD scientific positions. The pay-rate at Scynexis for contractors is far below the national average for the industry. Unless you have a PhD, you should not expect to find a permanent position with Scynexiss.

Scynexis hampers its scientists with overbearing safety protocols which can make even the simplest tasks time-consuming and aggravating. However this can be explained by numerous, very minor mishaps in their labs over the years. Many of the researchers are young and not as familiar with the substances they work with and therefore do not treat them with the respect they deserve. As a rule of the industry: accidents will happen, but with experience comes the ability to do the work safely.

Advice to Senior ManagementScynexis management needs to get over it's aversion to the masters and bachelors degrees.

Not much career development

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Scynexis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Good work-life balance. Smart and talented team members. High quality work.… Cons: Not much room for career development. Management doesn't always… Advice to Senior Management: It would be nice to have managers who actually cared… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Leadership is out of touch, lacks vision, and fosters an environment of cronyism and scientific/personal dishonesty.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Scynexis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: The people I shared time working alongside were awesome and many great friendships were forged.… Cons: Entrenched and extreme office politics and lack of personal integrity among the few co-workers and leadership… Advice to Senior Management: Demonstrate loyalty to employees and be honest with them. Lack of integrity, vision, and drifting values/behavior have cost Scynexis dearly - I don't see… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Scynexis.

Worked for Scynexis? Contribute to the Community!