Sea Island

www.seaisland.com

Sea Island is the best place to work in the Golden Isles area.

Server (Former Employee) Sea Island, GA

Pros1. The pay. I easily made $200 a night in the summer, sometimes much more. No tipping out, bussers and hostesses are actually paid well at $10 an hour.

2. The atmosphere. It's much different waiting on rich people than waiting on the general public. It's hard to describe, but they know how to be served. You don't have to micromanage tables and guess at what people want. It's structured and elegant and clearly laid out. The employees know what to do, and the guests know what to expect.

3. The company's philosophy. "We serve our members, our guests, and each other with warm hospitality that is gracious, uncomplicated, individualized and from the heart". And they mean it. It's not just some trite thing to say.

4. Bill Jones III is a great guy, and very down-to-earth.

Cons1. Too many cooks spoil the broth. There are managers for EVERYTHING. Managers to manage managers' managers. Managers to manage the managerial communication from FOH managers and BOH managers. Managers, managers everywhere but ne'er a spine to be seen.

Seriously, there was a lack of communication between shifts and managers.

2. Part-time/full-time policies and scheduling practices. Many a person was hired full-time with benefits, and was then not given enough hours to maintain full-time status, so they lost their benefits (along with having smaller paychecks) through no fault of their own.

In fact, some bussers were promoted to servers and given full-time hours even though there were servers who had lost their full-time benefits. Not cool.

3. The realities of wealthy people. 95% are the nicest, loveliest, most delightful people you'll ever wait on. They're patient, calm, and kind. The other 5%, however... WOW. Monsters.

4. Because it's a resort hotel atmosphere, people come there for holidays. So don't ever expect to have any holiday off. Ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to change your policies regarding full time status. If the employee hasn't done anything to warrant discipline, then managers should be required to do their jobs efficiently enough that full time people get their hours. That means stop overhiring - if you have enough full-time people for winter, don't hire more full time people in the summer because everyone will then be in trouble the next winter.

And for pity's sake, have managers communicate with each other better.

Solid Hourly Job, Nothing more

Outside Services (Former Employee)

I worked at Sea Island

Pros: While strict, everyone i worked with had a very good attitude everyday when they came into work. Since you are the… Cons: Management is always breathing down your neck. Even when you do something… Advice to Senior Management: Understand that giving someone sufficient training and then letting them go on their own and watch… More

Great Place to work for!

I have been working at Sea Island full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Beautiful Resort Great Work Environment Genuine Team Decent pay Cons: No pension or 401k matching Advice to Senior Management: Keep improving Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Sea Island.

Worked for Sea Island? Contribute to the Community!