Sea Island

  www.seaisland.com
  www.seaisland.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sea Island

1 person found this helpful  

Sea Island is the best place to work in the Golden Isles area.

  • Comp & Benefits
  • Work/Life Balance
  • Senior Management
  • Career Opportunities
Former Employee - Server in Sea Island, GA
Former Employee - Server in Sea Island, GA

I worked at Sea Island

Pros

1. The pay. I easily made $200 a night in the summer, sometimes much more. No tipping out, bussers and hostesses are actually paid well at $10 an hour.

2. The atmosphere. It's much different waiting on rich people than waiting on the general public. It's hard to describe, but they know how to be served. You don't have to micromanage tables and guess at what people want. It's structured and elegant and clearly laid out. The employees know what to do, and the guests know what to expect.

3. The company's philosophy. "We serve our members, our guests, and each other with warm hospitality that is gracious, uncomplicated, individualized and from the heart". And they mean it. It's not just some trite thing to say.

4. Bill Jones III is a great guy, and very down-to-earth.

Cons

1. Too many cooks spoil the broth. There are managers for EVERYTHING. Managers to manage managers' managers. Managers to manage the managerial communication from FOH managers and BOH managers. Managers, managers everywhere but ne'er a spine to be seen.

Seriously, there was a lack of communication between shifts and managers.

2. Part-time/full-time policies and scheduling practices. Many a person was hired full-time with benefits, and was then not given enough hours to maintain full-time status, so they lost their benefits (along with having smaller paychecks) through no fault of their own.

In fact, some bussers were promoted to servers and given full-time hours even though there were servers who had lost their full-time benefits. Not cool.

3. The realities of wealthy people. 95% are the nicest, loveliest, most delightful people you'll ever wait on. They're patient, calm, and kind. The other 5%, however... WOW. Monsters.

4. Because it's a resort hotel atmosphere, people come there for holidays. So don't ever expect to have any holiday off. Ever.

Advice to ManagementAdvice

My advice would be to change your policies regarding full time status. If the employee hasn't done anything to warrant discipline, then managers should be required to do their jobs efficiently enough that full time people get their hours. That means stop overhiring - if you have enough full-time people for winter, don't hire more full time people in the summer because everyone will then be in trouble the next winter.

And for pity's sake, have managers communicate with each other better.

Recommends
Approves of CEO

15 Other Employee Reviews for Sea Island (View Most Recent)

Sort: Rating Date
  1.  

    Solid Hourly Job, Nothing more

    • Comp & Benefits
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Senior Management
    • Career Opportunities
    Former Employee - Outside Services
    Former Employee - Outside Services

    I worked at Sea Island

    Pros

    While strict, everyone i worked with had a very good attitude everyday when they came into work. Since you are the face of the compnay their is alot of pressure to perform, but i thrive on this pressure so i loved it.

    Cons

    Management is always breathing down your neck. Even when you do something that is a normal daily occurance someone always had somehing to say.

    Advice to ManagementAdvice

    Understand that giving someone sufficient training and then letting them go on their own and watch how they progress is much more effcient than always being behind someone waiting for them to fall

    Disapproves of CEO
  2.  

    Great Place to work for!

    • Comp & Benefits
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Senior Management
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee

    I have been working at Sea Island full-time (more than 10 years)

    Pros

    Beautiful Resort
    Great Work Environment
    Genuine Team
    Decent pay

    Cons

    No pension or 401k matching

    Advice to ManagementAdvice

    Keep improving

    Recommends
    Positive Outlook
There are newer employer reviews for Sea Island

Work at Sea Island? Share Your Experiences

Sea Island

 
Click to Rate
or

Your response will be removed from the review – this cannot be undone.