SeaChange

www.schange.com

SeaChange no longer living up to their name

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Washington, PA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Washington, PA

Pros

I worked at the Fort Washington facility which had grown out of a start-up (Digital Video Arts) and was purchased by SeaChange and maintained (for a time) as a wholly-owned subsidiary; later it was moved under a business unit and continues until this day with that profile (though with different business units). There is some decent talent at SeaChange in Fort Washington, and, at least during the time that I was there, there were sometimes interesting opportunities for software engineers.

Cons

The culture at Fort Washington has never been that great. There is a sink or swim mentality with generally unsupportive management. There are a number of long-time employees there who generally have first crack at all of the interesting work with leftovers trickling down. While it is expected that one should have to prove him/herself, opportunities to do so are limited. However, it should be noted that being a local development facility (HQ is in Acton MA) contributes significantly to these limitations. We definitely felt like and were treated as "second class corporate citizens."

There was often a lot of volatility due to trying to satisfy a range of customers with distinct requirements but generally there seemed to be poor management of the whole process. I cannot count the number of projects that started and then just withered for one reason or another. Chaos generally ruled the day--much of it inflicted by demanding customers (e.g., Comcast) but some attributable to a poorly run and managed business.

From what I understand, SeaChange lost some major customers in the U.S. This, coupled with shifting of some responsibilities back to HQ, has left the Fort Washington facility with limited opportunities. Several engineers are being contracted out to former customers.

There is generally a hiring freeze at the Fort Washington facility, and I have not seen any new positions advertised for some time. They do not seem to be growing.

There is much you could do to improve management of employees and teams at Fort Washington, but you are at a distinct disadvantage most of the time and must often accept direction from HQ that does not have the best interests of Fort Washington in mind. I do not envy you!