Rapidly fading

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SeaChange full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with and even implement some cool technology. There are some very good, bright people working at SeaChange.

Cons

Extremely poor communication across the corporation. Severe lack of accountability, especially among salesmen. Very broken culture. No sense of strategic direction. Management that views employees as interchangeable parts to be used and discarded. No recognition or reward for hard work.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction for the company. Decide if the company is simply going to work project by project, or try to make more of a shrink wrap product. Even if the direction turns out not to be the best direction, it will be better than waffling and spinning around as the company is doing now. Require Engineering and Finance approval of all contracts before signing. Communicate at least monthly with the rank and file.

Other Employee Reviews for SeaChange

Former cutting edge High tech company

Former Employee - Director in Acton, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Acton, MA

I worked at SeaChange full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very smart people working there

Cons

Clear position for future not available

Advice to Management

Decide what you want to be and go be it

SeaChange no longer living up to their name

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Washington, PA

I worked at SeaChange full-time

Pros

I worked at the Fort Washington facility which had grown out of a start-up (Digital Video Arts) and was purchased by SeaChange and maintained (for a time) as a wholly-owned subsidiary; later it was moved under a business unit and continues until this day with that profile (though with different business units). There is some decent talent at SeaChange in Fort Washington, and, at least during the time that I was there, there were sometimes interesting opportunities for software engineers.

Cons

The culture at Fort Washington has never been that great. There is a sink or swim mentality with generally unsupportive management. There are a number of long-time employees there who generally have first crack at all of the interesting work with leftovers trickling down. While it is expected that one should have to prove him/herself, opportunities to do so are limited. However, it should be noted that being a local development facility (HQ is in Acton MA) contributes significantly to these limitations. We definitely felt like and were treated as "second class corporate citizens." There was often a lot of volatility due to trying to satisfy a range of customers with distinct requirements but generally there seemed to be poor management of the whole process. I cannot count the number of projects that started and then just withered for one reason or another. Chaos generally ruled the day--much of it inflicted by demanding customers (e.g., Comcast) but some attributable to a poorly run and managed business. From what I understand, SeaChange lost some major customers in the U.S. This, coupled with shifting of some responsibilities back to HQ, has left the Fort Washington facility with limited opportunities. Several engineers are being contracted out to former customers. There is generally a hiring freeze at the Fort Washington facility, and I have not seen any new positions advertised for some time. They do not seem to be growing.

Advice to Management

There is much you could do to improve management of employees and teams at Fort Washington, but you are at a distinct disadvantage most of the time and must often accept direction from HQ that does not have the best interests of Fort Washington in mind. I do not envy you!