Seagate Technology

www.seagate.com

Nice Opportunity for new firmware engineers, but limited growth potential later on.

Firmware Engineer (Former Employee) Shakopee, MN

Pros-Excellent , Knowledgeable , Cooperative Colleagues
-Well established processes for operation and development
-Will get a chance to work with all the tools of the trade ( Lauterback Emulator, Lecroy/Xilinx protocol Analyzers, Perforce, Slickedit etc ) and learn industry standard storage protocols like SAS and SATA. ( PCIe too if you join SSD team )
- ESPP, 401k match, Health Care are good. Bonus is good during ( and only during) boom years.
-Good work Life Balance

Cons-Very limited growth potential for new employees. You are looking at 4-5 years to get to the next level.
-Your immediate manager has very limited power and that shows when it comes to yearly reviews.Decisions regarding promotion taken at a higher level by people you might rarely interact.
-To get ahead you need to get "visibility". To get that you first need to be seen as good. But to be recognized as good you need to be in good projects. See where I am going with this !!!
-HDD business is always in a boom-bust cycle. One year you are making record profit margins. Next year you are talking about salary/ hiring freeze.
-I think the compensation ratio is not reflecting the actual reality.
-Weather is horrible during winter. But, summer and fall are nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease recognize employees contributions more. Provide raises and promotions in a timely manner.

Seagate Environment

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Longmont, CO

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Good pay, insurance and benefits. New interesting projects. Cons: Extremely stressful. Hard driven schedules. Degree requirements changed. BS now required. If you were laid… Advice to Senior Management: Get back the environment and culture you had 15 years… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good company to work for ..

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Seagate Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: 1) Good work-life balance 2) People are v helpful 3) Full opportunity… Cons: 1) Salary range is not so good compared to market Advice to Senior Management: Nurture work environment for creative thinking Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Seagate Technology.

Worked for Seagate Technology? Contribute to the Community!