Sears Optical

www.searsoptical.com
  www.searsoptical.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sears Optical

decent job for a College student

Current Employee - Optician in College Park, MD
Current Employee - Optician in College Park, MD

I have been working at Sears Optical part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a great experience and extremely difficult to do. I did it for two years while I was in college and it wasn't that bad. The company gives you a free pair of glasses or sunglasses from Sun glass Hut on the anniversary of your employment year. The benefits are not that bad you get Eyemed vision insurance whether your part time or not. you get paid holidays, Aetna dental and health insurance and FSA account and 401K if your a full time employment.

Cons

The hours are not consistent, you do not get commission if you do not make the weekly store goal you will only get base pay. You rarely get a raise I been with the company 2 years and got a 25 cent raise during the two years i been with the company.

Be honest when hiring employees that it is not definite that they will be able to get full time employment hours and

22 Other Employee Reviews for Sears Optical (View Most Recent)

A learning-experience that will help you grow in different ways

Current Employee - Associate in Moreno Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Moreno Valley, CA

I have been working at Sears Optical

Pros

Casual atmosphere allows for comfortable environment
    Challenges you to think outside the box (to market/advertise sales when business is slow)
    Communication skills can be grown
    Will learn lots about management, even as an associate
    Will learn lots about insurance, which can be an important skill in other feids of work
    Will grow as a person
    Will grow in skills that are deemed important

Cons

It's sales, so can be high stressor because of weekly goals that must be reached
    I've been told if you're a people person, don't work here because it will make you not like people..
    Must learn to be patient
    Must learn to adapt to different kinds of people

Very unsettling for a committed and loyal employee

Current Employee - Was Store Manager for 1 5 Yrs Associate II Yrs in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Sears Optical

Pros

I get great satisfaction in helping people and this is a place I can do that. People are having a hard time getting what they need and affording it in this economy, and I am in the position to help them with that. And for that I am Thankful.

Cons

Company does not care about anything except $$$ No reward or positivity at store level, or mid mgmt. level, all negative no matter how much you do. The rewards only come in the form of a little commision If you make the ridiculious sales plans without the hours to be legal in Washington, and do great Customer service. Open 59 hrs aweek and only allowed 69 hrs.for payroll. We could get more hours if we make the sales. But with out the coverage we need to do that, we are being setup. Washington reguires a licensed optician there 80% of open hours. They are NOT sales people. So to do sales the Mgr. or Sales associate need to be there to make sales plan. That cannot happen per company sales to plan grid. Customers suffer and the store employees not to mention the Independent Drs.

The possibilities are endless @ Sears Optical, if only the Company would roll out the power to make it happen. All common goals can be acheived if the positivity was there to support the lip service. Beating up on people does not make a positive atmosphere. And taking care of your associates no matter what level they are will put the commitment and positivity back at the store level.Give the stores the power to suceed instead of setting them up for failure...

There are newer employer reviews for Sears Optical