There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Good work environment and opportunities to advance, but pay and benefits lagging behind industry standards

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Good work environment and family atmosphere. Lots of long tenured employees, so change is difficult to manage at times. Upper management provides plenty of flexibility in work-life balance. Opportunities for advancement are plenty, given you are open to relocation.

Cons

Pay and benefits are defnitely not competetive with industry standards. This is especially true to internal promotions. Hours can be long, but not unusual for logistics. Technology and equipment definitely needs to be modernized and brought up to current standards.

In our quest to take care of hourly associates, senior leaders often forget about the management team that quietly labors away 60+ hours a week. They do so often with little or no tangible recognition, year after year. We are bleeding experienced talent at a steady rate and if nothing significant is done soon, the company will find it difficult to compete at the same level as our big box competitors.

4020 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

Fun place to work but with significant drawbacks.

Current Employee - Analyst in Hoffman Est, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Hoffman Est, IL

I have been working at Sears

Pros

--Fun and exciting projects to work on in an ever changing fast paced environment.
    --Exposed to cutting edge innovations within the retail industry
    --Coworkers across various business units cooperative and helpful to work with.
    --Nice campus with great amenities and special events.

Cons

--Minimal room for promotion and advancement.
    --Senior level management has been doing a poor job of running the company.
    --Overly restrictive corporate rules and regulations stifle productivity.
    --Divergent goals among the various business units often create friction.

--Align the goals of the various business units and ease up on the micromanagement.
    --Provide more room for growth and advancement.

Poor management, good opportunities for growth

Current Employee - National Retail Management Trainee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - National Retail Management Trainee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Sears

Pros

I love being able to help customers and always be on the floor, not cooped up at a desk. I get to learn to do everything in the store so I can help wherever is needed. Right now i am in charge of the electronics department and it is much better having a specific department to which you are accountable and can focus all your time. Most of the time I love my job.

Cons

The manager doesn't really give me too much the time of day, and I have been to a store where the ASM's just ignore me and don't find it worth their time to train me. (the store I am currently at though, all the ASM's are excellent and very helpful). I have to work every single saturday and every other sunday, which leaves me little time to be with my family.

Do not micro manage. Train and then give us responsibility so that we can prove what we have learned and that we are great managers.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears