Sears

www.searshc.com
  www.searshc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

I was there a long time and unless you become a manager ther is little room to move up

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Good place to work wile going to school. Can be flexible with hours

Cons

No insurance for part time employees

better get with the times qucik

4273 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

They Don't Understand basic customer wants and desires

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Sears

Pros

Pay was fair for the job as described. Lots of opportunity to to make a customer "friend" if they had already been through the Sears call center operations.

Cons

Senior executives are going to close the company by NOT understanding basic customer needs. The biggest complaint was that we did not answer the telephone. True. Why? Sears puts local phone numbers in the phone book but the phones ring at call centers only. NO OPTION to transfer to a store unless you push lots of buttons and finally talk to a person and then ask for the local store. Customer frustration was immense. Also, they outsource lots of customer service functions overseas, and usually this is just fine. The employee has an accent but who cares because they are easy to understand. or should be. At SEARS it's often hard to understand language even if you ask them to spell the word that stumps you,. Often you can't even understand the individual letters. There must be levels of outsourcing available and Sears took the least expensive. As a manager, it was difficult to call someone on an escalated problem, a real person. Everyone, even those of us in the stores, were insulated from customers. Customers are giving up. Again, senior management doesn't know the problem and therefore won't be able to fix it. Sad.

Customers are giving up. Senior management doesn't know the problem and therefore won't be able to fix it. Company leaders are surrounded by people who can't say this or that is stupid. It's not in their culture. A differing opinion is critical to choosing the best route to follow but their culture will never allow it.. Inexpensive solutions are available but they will never surface. Sad.

Like a pack of chickens with their heads cut off.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Sears

Pros

reasonably large customer base
    Fast internal distribution system for custom orders. Great plus for sales.
    Carries Craftsman and other exclusive brands
    Good range of coworkers
    training events to familiarize employees with product that are actually informative.

I see the potential for a company that is on the ropes to rise up and show that it is capable of competing well into the twenty first century.

Cons

Favoritism is rampant in the company. The deficiency of a single metric will lead to the uncorrelated assumption that one was bad at their job. When the reality is that no one is meeting that criteria. Only certain employees are singled out and criticized for not meeting a goal that no one is meeting. Even a slight variance is black and white in their eyes and seen as a complete failure. Ultimately it appears that Sears is now in the business of selling protection agreements and not the product.

My advice would be to upper management. My interaction with customers has led me to come to the conclusion that those in the sub-forty year old segment no longer have any intention of returning to this store. I do not believe the product to be the issue but the culture that Sears has fostered. I have lost count of the number of times that I have heard a customer say, "I can't remember the last time I went to sears. Ten Years?" By forcing emails, rewards, and other such gestures it is further distancing the customer.

All the extra initiatives seem to be ignoring why people are choosing not to come to sears. Stores look outdated, everything is about up-selling protection agreements and credit applications. and not enough about customer experience. People want to get in and out as quickly as possible because we are driving them out with outrageous sales tactics. This is out of the control of store level management but from mandates given out at national level.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears