Sears

www.searshc.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Decent job for a high school student, but not much of a job for someone seeking a career.

Current Employee - Cashier in Madison, WI
Current Employee - Cashier in Madison, WI

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Easy Job
Compensated for credit cards
Pretty flexible schedule

Cons

Redundant position
Dead end job
you need to be able to make your numbers

Focus on your strengths like appliance and tools, and less on soft-lines.

4624 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

Avoid Sears

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sears

Pros

I .Relatively easy to get time off.

II. Drug testing/ Crime-free.

III.Friendly lower staff.

IIV.Lower-level management will listen to customer issues and try to help, although they are often paralyzed by corporate policy.

Cons

I. Too many elements to focus on, including:
    1. Credit card applications
    2. Loyalty club member enrollments
    3. Protection agreements (three kinds available)
    4. Online orders
    5. "Recap" emails
    You are expected to know your daily numbers and monthly percentages for all of those categories.

II. Minimal training.
    The training i received consisted of online "lessons" which contained outdated information, and tests for lessons which apparently no longer existed. The one time I was able to get help from a real person, I was told to guess my way through the tests. I was expected to clock in, sit down at a computer, and "train" with no guidance.

III. Management
    The upper management is completely out of touch with the employee on the front lines, as well as with the customer. He is constantly hounding us about our numbers (see list above), and only shows respect to his employees when he is "in a good mood." The store is much more productive when he is not there.

The mid-lower management is friendly enough, but relatively powerless to help the customer without the approval of the man described above.

IV. Under-staffed
    Sears has no restocking or signing teams. As a result, the selling associates (who make less than minimum wage when they are not selling and making commission) are the ones who fill the floor with stock and who put up and take down signage.

V. High turnover
    In the three months I have worked for my local Sears, I've seen 5 employees quit and 1 get fired.

VI. Outdated POS.
    This might not be an issue for some people, but the POS (cash register) system at Sears feels like programming DOS. The other department store I used to work at had full-color, touch screen POS's. (and so does McDonalds...)

In conclusion, I would avoid working for Sears, Kmart., The Great Indoors, or any Sear Roebuck brand.

I. Lower prices of/eliminate apparel, shoes, etc.
    People shop at Sears for Craftsman tools and Kenmore appliances, not Kmart clothes at Macy's prices.

II. Simplify.
    The customer does not want to be bothered about applying for a credit card, joining a club, and getting an e-receipt, he/she wants to feel respected and like he/she got a good deal for a quality item.

III. Know what you are.
    Stop re-branding and creating new programs. People hate gimmicks. Gimmicks make people feel like you are trying to rip them off. Provide a quality product at a fair price, and stay that way... Fro years. That's what creates "customers for life."

--A Sears Employee.

What's to be expected.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Sears

Pros

-Management was lenient when I needed time off.
    -Great people to work with.
    -Got to meet some interesting people and customers.

Cons

-Competition between different departments was petty and unnecessary.
    -High turnover rate in the managerial department.
    -Hired way to many workers all at once, creating not enough hours for experienced employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears