There are newer employer reviews for Sears

High Risk/High Reward career growth opportunity

Current Employee - Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL
Current Employee - Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Challenging environment that will bring the best out of you. If you make it here, you'll make it anywhere.
Management tends to be candid with HQ employees; Acting CEO Johnson well respected in company. Morale seems high in spite of uncertain economy and retail industry.
Strong emphasis on management through rigorous analysis of results.
Management is paying serious attention to innovation.

Cons

Lack of capital investment: Aging stores/data systems/office equipment badly need remodels and upgrades.
Chmn/majority stockholder is a financier, not a retailer. Managers and employees wonder about long-term strategy for business.
Health benefits options a bit expensive

The company needs more investment at points of customer contact: Stores, associate training.

4001 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

An easy dead end job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Sears

Pros

As a commissioned sales associate, you can actually make a halfway decent amount of money. You often end up making more than the managers if you're good at what you do. The managers were always very flexible with time off (unpaid, for part timers) and with scheduling if you're part time. The work environment is relaxed and the people at my store were very nice. I got quite close to my fellow employees.

Cons

The place is pretty much a joke. There was no management over the age of 25 except the store manager, who came around to curse us out for not doing our jobs well enough and make bad decisions like keeping the store open for an extra few hours without any prior notice to the employees. The turnover is extremely high so we were always training new people, who screwed up orders and left us with more unhappy customers than satisfied. The turnover among managers was also extremely high, so we often had managers who didn't care about anything except meeting goals for warranties and credit. Many of the employees had been at the store far longer than the managers but were unwilling to take a pay cut for more responsibilities. There was almost no opportunity for advancement- I saw many people go from sales associate to lead, and then back to sales because they were simply making much more off commission! Very few people stayed with the company long enough to advance even to assistant store manager. The standard for products has gone dramatically downhill and we could barely keep up with returns and unhappy customers returning the same items that constantly broke or didn't work as promised. The customers, as well as the employees, were left wondering "what happened to Sears?" The acquisition by Kmart changed the culture immensely, to something more of a budget "get-em-out and get the next one in" type mentality. They violated labor laws constantly, shorting us pay and working us illegal hours (for example, did you know that as an hourly worker, your shift can't be changed without 12 hours notice? I didn't, and they sure took advantage of that). Getting paid was like pulling teeth. If they paid you an incorrect amount (which happened a lot) it was impossible to get it corrected before the next pay period. In addition, the company is constantly in financial trouble. It's been speculated for a long time that Sears will fold soon and unless something dramatic happens, I'm still anticipating it happening within the next few years.

Put more effort into keeping talented managers around. Update the freaking POS system. Abide by labor laws. Stop running the company into the ground by supplying crappy products pushed by underpaid, under trained 16 year olds.

sears holding co The job from hell

Current Employee - Rapid Resolution Technical Specialist in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Rapid Resolution Technical Specialist in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sears

Pros

A good place for training for a real job.

Cons

expensive health insurance, company dont like to give weekends off,or 2 considive days, company likes to put in schedule bids to give your schedule to sombody else. management likes to take action against you if you are sick even if turn in a doctors note. The co is only interested in ways to cut cost even if it hurts its employees and its customers. Service units will not answer the ph and if they do they cant help or will not help

look at what you are doing you a pissing off your remaining customers and employees and if you continue you will not have a company left. I get at least 50 out of 80 calls per day where the last statement is I will not buy appliances froms sears again due to poor service dates. Letting customers go without a ref for 2 wks before tech gets to look at it and the same for heating/ac that is redicullas. That looses more customers and routing dont help and most s/u will not answer the ph espically in north and south east us.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears