Sears

www.searshc.com

Great people working together

Former Employee - Tool Sales  in  Camp Hill, PA
Former Employee - Tool Sales in Camp Hill, PA

Pros

very flexible, great people that work there

Cons

Sears has some executive level management issues which you feel at a lower level

Other reviews for Sears

Overworked but underpaid

Former Employee - Human Resources Lead  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources Lead in Dayton, OH

Pros

I'm sure a lot of it depends on the store you're at, but at least at the one I was at, it was a great work environment. The people I worked with were pretty awesome. As a lead, I wasn't allowed to work more than forty hours per week, so the work / life balance aspect was very good. Associates are given a pretty thorough training program.

Cons

As the HR / Office Lead, I was responsible for overseeing both the Human Resources functions as well as the cash office (including daily deposit and reports). Not to mention, most times of the year, I was only allowed to give my one employee in my department fifteen hours a week or less. So basically my department (me and the one employee) were expected to run two major aspects of the store in 55 hours a week or less, and there was about eighty hours' worth of work. On top of that, I was still part of the management team, and as such, was also expected to help manage operations of the entire store including customer issues / disputes. It was honestly too much work for as little pay as they would offer. Many aspects of the company have been outsourced to other companies (and not all in the US), which made many of the processes more difficult and complicated than they needed to be. Not to mention, when a customer issue was involved, many things were out of our hands at the store level, and if you try explaining that to the customer, they don't get it - to them, "Sears is Sears", so if something was wrong with an installation, why couldn't we managers take care of it? Because the people who do installations are actually a different company so we have little control there. Needless to say, this made handling customer issues a lot more complicated (and frustrating, both for the employees and the customers) than it needed to be.

Compensate your store employees (including management) accordingly - if you want a lead to run HR, and the Cash Office, and the store, they deserve to be given more money and hours for their department. Store employees at all levels are underpaid for the responsibilities they are given, and as a result, the company doesn't attract the highest quality of applicants, which in turn results in it being difficult to hire and retain the best people. Instead of outsourcing because it is cheaper, streamline processes to make it easier for your employees to help its customers - it doesn't save you money if it results in permanently losing customers over the hassle, which management is virtually powerless to prevent in many cases since so much has been taken out of their hands.

I felt very unappreciated after working very hard

Current Employee - Auto Representative  in  Massapequa, NY
    Current Employee - Auto Representative in Massapequa, NY

Pros

flexible hours when you specify on your application

Cons

Management needs more training and especially with customer service

Get more experienced managers and ones who appreciate their employees

There are newer employer reviews for Sears.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!