Great people working together

Former Employee - Tool Sales in Camp Hill, PA
Former Employee - Tool Sales in Camp Hill, PA

I worked at Sears part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very flexible, great people that work there

Cons

Sears has some executive level management issues which you feel at a lower level

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. Good Job, But the workplace seems... divided.

Current Employee - MCA in Crystal Lake, IL
    Current Employee - MCA in Crystal Lake, IL

I have been working at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are very flexible with your schedule. I never had a request off day declined, and managers are very willing to let you and a coworker switch days freely. Job itself isn't too hard, GREAT discount and their are always opputunities to increase your paycheck.

Cons

Towards the end the dress code got a little ridiculous, Managers don's tam up, they seem very divided. Managers pick favorites from their departments and dont acknowledge anyone else. Additionally, the credit quotas and SYWR quotas when I were a CAC were a little ridiculous. Saw many come and go because they couldn't make the numbers.

Advice to Management

Try to interact with the whole store, not just your department. You seem to push so hard for team work, but it seems most of you are only covering your space. Lose your "Soft Lines" Lead, "Cac" Lead, and just act like a Lead or Manager in general. Only one of my managers took responsibility for the store as a whole, and it wasn't even the store manager.

2. Great pay, security team is very cut throat

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Danbury, CT

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission was great during busy holiday shopping seasons. Relaxed work environment. Could take long breaks and sign back into one of their many computers which was convenient.

Cons

Security team was always looking to make an example out of someone. Often times their employees rather than customers who stole. I would say they eliminated atleast 20% of staff for errors and not applying discounts "By the book". The discounts I saw were made in good faith although some deserved to get fired. For example pricing an open box iPod for $30 and buying it themselves. Others i saw apply a price match, lost the ad...and couldn't show proof. Got fired the next day. Saw an operations manager of 14 years get fired for giving a $20 discount to a customer. Middle management also sucked!

Advice to Management

Don't be so cut throat. Make a better selection process for middle management. They were incompetent and under qualified.