There are newer employer reviews for Sears

With Great Knowledge theres......

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Champaign, IL
Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Champaign, IL

I worked at Sears full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At Sears ive been treated well they have Great training in product Knowledge, sales skills, and custromer problem solving. mix that with loyal customers, and great product brands, and its not a bad place to start out as a salesman, decent money if you are in the right dept and are able to sell. Managers are flexible with scheduals, and willing to help when needed.

Cons

There is limited room for growth, once a manager has filled a posistion they tend to stay, leaving no room to advance in the company, or if the spot opens they fill it from outside the store before advancing from within. The commision is not equal to the Knowledge and abilities of the sales staff. No raises of base salery or comissions rates, the answer is "Sell more if you want to make more." so Sales staff that are deserving of more are dependant on the avalability of customers to make a living. Customers want things handed to them on a silver plater for having spent X amount of dollars over the years with Sears. Information travels slow from corporate down to staff. computers are old and slow the registers are older. great selling products are never in stock durring big sales.

Advice to Management

Remember that Customer Service doesnt just mean helping when they are at the store, its running a company for the benifit of the customer, not the bottom line.

reviews filtered by

Finance Manager

Current Employee - Business Finance Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Business Finance Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Challenging Projects and exposure to senior management

Cons

Hierarchy and takes time to see the result

Advice to Management

Be flexible

Overworked but underpaid

Former Employee - Human Resources Lead in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources Lead in Dayton, OH

I worked at Sears full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I'm sure a lot of it depends on the store you're at, but at least at the one I was at, it was a great work environment. The people I worked with were pretty awesome. As a lead, I wasn't allowed to work more than forty hours per week, so the work / life balance aspect was very good. Associates are given a pretty thorough training program.

Cons

As the HR / Office Lead, I was responsible for overseeing both the Human Resources functions as well as the cash office (including daily deposit and reports). Not to mention, most times of the year, I was only allowed to give my one employee in my department fifteen hours a week or less. So basically my department (me and the one employee) were expected to run two major aspects of the store in 55 hours a week or less, and there was about eighty hours' worth of work. On top of that, I was still part of the management team, and as such, was also expected to help manage operations of the entire store including customer issues / disputes. It was honestly too much work for as little pay as they would offer. Many aspects of the company have been outsourced to other companies (and not all in the US), which made many of the processes more difficult and complicated than they needed to be. Not to mention, when a customer issue was involved, many things were out of our hands at the store level, and if you try explaining that to the customer, they don't get it - to them, "Sears is Sears", so if something was wrong with an installation, why couldn't we managers take care of it? Because the people who do installations are actually a different company so we have little control there. Needless to say, this made handling customer issues a lot more complicated (and frustrating, both for the employees and the customers) than it needed to be.

Advice to Management

Compensate your store employees (including management) accordingly - if you want a lead to run HR, and the Cash Office, and the store, they deserve to be given more money and hours for their department. Store employees at all levels are underpaid for the responsibilities they are given, and as a result, the company doesn't attract the highest quality of applicants, which in turn results in it being difficult to hire and retain the best people. Instead of outsourcing because it is cheaper, streamline processes to make it easier for your employees to help its customers - it doesn't save you money if it results in permanently losing customers over the hassle, which management is virtually powerless to prevent in many cases since so much has been taken out of their hands.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears