There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Sears once had an awesome culture. Then Eddie Lampert happened.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Sears full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

In commission sales areas scheduling is very flexible and as long as you consistently hit your monthly sales goals it's a low pressure work environment. The employee discount, when combined with Sears' ridiculous clearance prices can be pretty sweet. I've bought several TVs and appliances for hundreds of dollars below cost.

Cons

I've worked in several stores in different regions of Oregon over a period of eight years and while the management at the store level is generally competent the higher levels: district, region, and corporate are out of touch and seem to be more interested in politics and maneuvering than actually helping the stores stay profitable.

In the consultative selling areas the commission structure has been gutted so badly that all the top sales guys have started jumping ship. If you compensate a salesperson like they were nothing more than a cashier, that's what you'll end up with.

My advice to management is to go back to what worked. When I started at Sears, before it ever became Sears Holdings Corporation, we had an amazing culture and a compensation structure that ensured retention of the absolute best salespeople. In 2005 when you enacted all the policies around "Sowing the Seeds of Corporate Culture," what you actually did was destroy a thriving, productive culture in your attempts to make all the stores the same.

Also, don't try to compete on price. Price is not what set Brand Central apart from the other guys. It was personalized consultative selling by knowledgeable and friendly salespeople.

4001 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

great internship experience

Former Employee - Internal Audit Intern in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Internal Audit Intern in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Sears as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It provided a very friendly atmosphere and a great learning opportunity. Their internal audit internship program was run very well and provided a variety of challenges

Cons

Management is very "silo"-ed. The company lacks a consistent message across the board. Their casual culture was detrimental to the mentality necessary to turn the company around.

More communication across the board is necessary.

Good place to work for discounts on merchandise.

Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Denver, CO

I worked at Sears part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours and good benefits

Cons

pay was low relative to skill

focus on training employees