There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Good potential, but absurd structuring

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The compensation for sales professionals is pretty good, and we have some of the best product offerings and customer support in the appliance industry.

Cons

There's no sensible upwards progression. If I tried for management, I would have to take a large paycut as both a lead and as an assistant store manager. The best talent is by design going to stay out of the positions where they could help further the company the most.

Unburden your front line associates, give them flexibility in their jobs and selling processes, and give us a reason to go further up.

3861 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

It's hard to stay loyal to a company like Sears Holdings.

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great People, I love everyone I work with. The office is very nice.

Cons

Every strategy is outdated, and ideas that seem beneficial are never able to actually execute in the Sears environment. I think we've lost who the customer is.

Favoritism of lazy employees, hard working employees are ignored.

Former Employee - MCA
    Former Employee - MCA

I worked at Sears part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

(Usually) willing to work with school hours
    Flexible (though often sporadic) hours-usually able to work as little as 4 hours or as many as 8

Cons

-Management socialized with employees outside of work.
    -Management showed cleared favoritism towards certain employees, who happen to be lazy. They ignored the lazy employees infractions and clear lack of work ethic. I would often see employees on their cell phones or playing games on the computers, while customers would be standing in the departments waiting to be helped. Also, the favored employees would hang out with management in their offices.
    -There was never a manager available for any calls-and no one would answer customer assist pages either (though you can be assured they were all either hanging out in the "hub" or eating lunch together).
    -The lazy employees received all the incentives, while the hardworking support staff (MCAs and Receiving) received no incentives and no rewards for their hard work.
    -Management had no idea what the word confidential meant-and many employees were uncomfortable approaching the HR lead as this person was one of the biggest gossips
    -Some of the people in power were petty, aggressive, and vengeful-cutting hours if they had a personal issue with someone. There were many times when a lead would not get a write-up for doing the exact same thing and employee did (who would get written up).

Actually look at your employees work ethic and records. Get rid of the lazy ones and stop showing favoritism. Provide some incentives and rewards for the support staff (since, for all the sales, the store would not run without MCAs and receiving). I would just rid yourselves of the crappy management and hire all new, hardworking people who actually believe in enforcing company policies, rules, and state laws. Start treating everyone the same, making sure every employee suffers consequences as s/he should.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!