There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Good pay and hours.

Current Employee - Cashier in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Cashier in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sears part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunities to make more money, flexible schedule. Good hours.

Cons

Have quotas to meet. Management makes you work for there bonuses.

Make base pay raises available.

4011 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

Meh.

Current Employee - Cashier in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Sears part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They work pretty well with my college schedule. And hey, it's a job, right..? At least they pay.

Cons

They put WAY too much emphasis on Sears credit cards. They pretty much train us cashiers to do whatever it takes to get people to apply for them. Same with the Shop Your Way Rewards memberships. They tend to teach pretty sneaky tactics. Not very cool to do to people.

Ease up a bit on the Sears credit cards and that Shop Your Way stuff. The fact that you have your cashiers be so pushy about them probably drives business away. People are already there spending their money at the company, why put them in such an uncomfortable situation? They won't wanna come back if they know that every time they go in there to buy something, a cashier is going to harass them to sign up for something or apply for a credit card. If it were me, I know I would TOALLY not bother coming back.

Collect your check while looking for work elsewhere

Former Employee - Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Sears full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Often times challenging work environments produce the best learning and development opportunities. Sears has challenges galore! Now whether you'll learn anything other than being combative or how to deal in corporate politics is another matter.

Cons

Work hours are atrocious and depending on the team, your manager may be VERY inflexible in working with you to create a schedule that meets your needs. The commute from the city is horrid. Pay is ok but expensive healthcare plans, no 401k contributions (and a 2% cap on contributions for employees making over $115k) make it impossible to save for retirement, no bonus, hostile teams/business units that inhibit any cross-enterprise collaboration, terrible senior leadership, many with no retail experience, an untrustworthy, misguided chairman/ceo named Eddie Lampert, no clear company direction and rooms full of Eddie yes-men (those who do have solutions or see things different than Eddie are afraid to speak out), cheap with holidays (only 6), and overall poor morale and lack of employee engagement

Create a strategy that is more than just trendy buzzwords (integrated retail anyone) and that address Sears/Kmart customer needs - how does Shop Your Way add value for this customer, why is a loyalty program being trumpeted as groundbreaking? Stop wasting resources on stupid initiatives that don't produce revenue and attract customers, checking out via an iPad is more painful and cumbersome for customer as the things don't work half the time, and no one is going to adopt ShoppingIn...Start hiring senior leaders with retail/merchant backgrounds. Get out of apparel if you won't do it right, the quality and design is terrible - thinking of clothing that competes with us, you can find high quality pieces from old navy and trendier gear from h&m both competing in our price range. Lastly, stop kowtowing to Eddie, in 7 years he's proven he knows nothing about running retail.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears