There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Could be worse

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Mishawaka, IN
Former Employee - Cashier in Mishawaka, IN

I worked at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discounts at Kmart and Sears. The HR department seems to really want to work with you and whatever you're going through.

Cons

They really push for credit card offers, which is ok but you're not going to get many people to apply for them. Don't get me wrong you get benefits if you get people to sign up for them but its not easy.

Make sure there is enough crew to be able to give breaks.

3871 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

Dissatisfied with Sears

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible hours
    a few supportive coworkers
    a few other things, but I'm more unhappy than happy

Cons

Well, we get bad customers everywhere.

Too much pressure to get credit cards (30 minutes telling me how the other cashier is better at getting credit card apps, NOT to pay attention to what the customer is saying or if they seem to be in a hurry, GET CREDIT APPS ANYWAY) I can't, with a conscience, pressure people to get a credit card that I think is useless and deceiving. But management doesn't care. They'll just try to brainwash you into thinking it's a great program.

Poor management

Says they want feedback, but scoff at it

Favoritism (Worship one cashier and pressure other cashiers to be like the favorited)

Try focusing more on bringing in people rather than harassing the few that DO come in to get credit cards and continue coming in.

Revamp the place, I hear customers complain all the time about how "the lighting sucks away at their soul" and "this place STILL looks like it was from the 90s"

Pay attention to the "employees vs managers" atmosphere that the managers are creating.

You take all the risk...

Former Employee - Project Consultant
    Former Employee - Project Consultant

I worked at Sears full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great brand recognition. Good benefits. Flexible for days off.

Cons

Even if you are good at one call closes this job burns you out. You use your own car with minimal reimbursement. You will spend 15-20k a year on your car out of pocket. This includes gas, tolls, parking fees, maintenance. You will put 30-40k miles on your car in a year. You are only reimbursed 21 cents a mile. And only on the miles they want to pay you. You will only be reimbused for about half of the actual miles you drive. Then you can write off the rest but it does not replace what you spend. You also use your own cell phone. One call close. The leads are only preset - not pre-qualified. You will often get one-leggers and people in no position to make a purchase that same day. Also Sears is so over priced that it has to be a one call close. If customer has time to compare or do research most will not go with Sears. This system is a fine line between manipulation and persuasion. Nearly half of credit apps are rejects. You do not get paid for that. Even if you can gross 100k in a year you will only make about 60k after taxes and expenses. And thats working 60-70 hours a week. About a third of the time is spent driving. Most people only average 50k-60k gross. Only the managers and trainers are making more. Thats because they can cherry pick the leads so they do not run a lot of one-leggers and got to areas that are less likely to have credit rejects. I grossed 1.2m in business in one year. Average commission is 10%. After rejects and cancels I only got paid about 65k. Cancel rate is about 30%. Customers realize they over paid if they decide to get a comparison quote.

30k-40k base salary plus half the commission would stop you from losing good people. Also spend more time qualifying the leads. Too many no goods and one-leggers. Also distribute leads fairly. Don't send a rep 90 miles away when there are leads within 20 miles of their home.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!