There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Good first job

Current Employee - MCA  in  Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - MCA in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Sears part-time for more than a year

Pros

Accepts people with little to no job history
Moderate amount of hours
Friendly coworkrs

Cons

Minimum wage with no chance for raise
Little to no chance of advancing in carrer
Connections advance your career, not performance

Acknowledge and reward well performing employees, not people you are friends with.

3877 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

I do not recommend

Current Employee - Apparel Associate
    Current Employee - Apparel Associate

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

I cant think of any yet!

Cons

I just started working here but I already am very unhappy. The training is non-existent. They pretty much throw you to the wolves and when you ask for help from other employees, the look at you like you are stupid (at my store, anyways). The manager is never near when you need them to be. They run around like chickens with their heads cut-off. Very unorganized. My employee ID # didn't work so HR said they would find out what the problem was and never got back to me. The one who said she was going to fix it is never in the office when I work and no one knows anything. Again, I haven't done any online training, it seems its not a priority to them even though its a requirement. My manager told another employee (my real life friend- different dept) to tell me to check my schedule online for this upcoming week but I have never received an ID or password for the website so I have to keep calling in to know my schedule. Also, I still don't know how to time in or out even though I have asked my manager... "Uh, you can do it on the cash register" was all I got.
    I haven't started the cash register YET but I will soon and Ive heard horror stories already about pretty much learning yourself, don't expect even simple training. I understand some of the things are common sense and laid out for you but others aren't and it just seems like it will be a difficult thing, when it shouldn't. I've had other retail jobs where at least the manager stood next to you on the first couple of ring up just in case... not here, I guess. Oh, and the constant demand to sell credit is ridiculous. Im sure I will be yelled at constantly for that one.

I am currently looking for another job as I write this!

Enjoyed experience at Sears but company stability was a concern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Sears full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work environment. Great experience and opportunities. Ability to move cross-functionally. Decent Pay.

Cons

Continued poor sales. Lack of execution at store level. Not investing in store infrastructures and alienating customers. Struggle to compete with other retailers.

Invest in store infrastructures. New POS, new exterior and interior. Make the stores more appealing and ease of checkout for customers. All the hard work that is done in headquarters is wasted if no one wants to go the a run down store with long waits.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!