Sears Holdings - a turnaround in the making or a great collapse..?

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Hoffman Estates, IL
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears

Pros

The possibility that Sears Holding could be a great turn around story - it would be great to be part of such a remarkable story. The attitude is still pretty positive in some areas of the organization - people still have a sense of hope. Sears Holdings is committed to hiring the best and brightest talent. I think Bruce Johnson has created a very energetic atmosphere in the short time that he has been interim CEO. I feel that we are making efforts to put ourselves in a favorable position once the economy picks back up. Work-life balance is very manageable.

Cons

The possibility that Sears Holding could go down as one of the biggest failures. A LOT of uncertainty pertaining to job security. It is very concerning that many executives have a short tenure. We are way behind our competitors in terms of technological advancements - legacy systems seem to be too ingrained into the mindset of management. I am not too sure how the "Sears Holdings Organization, Action and Responsibilities" (SOAR) operating structure will shakeout. Apparently, Sears tried something like this several years ago, but it did not work out. Sears Holdings is not relevant to softlines consumers - which are vital to our success. I do not feel Sears Holdings is sending a clear and concise message to the consumers about what Sears Holdings represents.

Remodel our stores.

Other Reviews for Sears

satisfied employee

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Specialist in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at Sears

Pros

The company rewards merit, so there's lots of room for advancement for people who buckle down and get things done. The company prides itself on innovation, so the technology is cutting edge and exciting to work on. Plus the discounts on sporting goods were hard to beat.

Cons

The expectations are very high. It's not a place for people who want to coast through their career. Slackers have a hard time getting ahead. As an example, one of my co-workers was caught stealing from the till. They literally walked her out of the building in front of the customers and every body else. It was awesome.

Profits are up, market share is unassailable. The analysts love the company. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Good people... but not back on track yet.

Current Employee - Senior Apparel Designer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Apparel Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Almost everyone I've worked with at Sears has been really great. I really like the corporate culture. I find it to be very respectful of personal needs and differences. In the New York office there are no "bad apples". Everyone is friendly, curteous and supportive.

Cons

There were no bonuses this year, and only nominal raises. But management isn't afraid to increase your work load!

Straighten out the development calendar and get a better Sourcing team in place. Right now all the Apparel Sourcing team does is negotiate cost. They have no development skills and can't think outside of beating people down for the lowest cost. It makes it hard to be creative.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!